Replacement engine 31R707-0001-G1

JustJoan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cannot find one for sale, do they sometimes not have replacement engines available? In every search nothing comes up, not that it's discontinued or out of stock. Just nothing. I have emailed B&S but no answer. The code number is 140310ZA. Nothing comes up for it either. We know now that gasoline leaked into the oil, everything else on the mower is in good shape, woudl just like to replace the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The suggested replacement (31R907-0007-G1) is currently on back order, no given timeline on when it might be back in stock.

A lot of the Briggs items are being back ordered.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you run it with gas in the oil, or just find gas in the oil?

JustJoan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found gas in the oil, drained it out, refilled with oil, drained out again, refilled with oil, went to mow did ok for a good while, then it threw a rod. We put a shutoff in the line to keep gas from getting into the oil, but I guess something failed, and we should have drained it longer or something.

JustJoan

Forum Newbie
Threads
The suggested replacement (31R907-0007-G1) is currently on back order, no given timeline on when it might be back in stock.

A lot of the Briggs items are being back ordered.
Found gas in the oil, drained it out, refilled with oil, drained out again, refilled with oil, went to mow did ok for a good while, then it threw a rod. We put a shutoff in the line to keep gas from getting into the oil, but I guess something failed, and we should have drained it longer or something.
Thank you for checking. Does it say what the replacement numbers are? Wondering if one of those might match another brand of engine. It has just rained about 10 inches here, desperately need to mow.

JustJoan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for checking. Does it say what the replacement numbers are? Wondering if one of those might match another brand of engine. It has just rained about 10 inches here, desperately need to mow.
Oh sorry, I read your post wrong!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For the time being just fix the carb so the float valve actually works change the oil a couple of times then carry on till you can get a replacement
Your problem is very common and quite recoverable unless you have been mowing for months with petrol diluted oil

JustJoan

Forum Newbie
Threads
For the time being just fix the carb so the float valve actually works change the oil a couple of times then carry on till you can get a replacement
Your problem is very common and quite recoverable unless you have been mowing for months with petrol dilut

JustJoan

Forum Newbie
Threads
It hasn't been months, just the once, but husband is pretty sure a rod is thrown. We are trying to get the mower that we had before this one fixed right now, it's a Poulan with a B&S 31C707 I believe, and IT is doing the same thing with the float and the gasoline leaking into the oil. We had to keep a shutoff valve on it also. It is starting and then dying, going to replace the carburator tomorrow I guess.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
On the mower with the thrown rod, take the spark plug out and place your thumb over the plug hole, crank the engine... You should feel a pulse on your thumb from the piston moving. You can also stick a pencil or similar object in the hole and check for piston movement.