Replace 30 year old 4 hp B&S

ThomasD

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 30 year old Troybilt mulching mower whose design is not replicated these days. It needs a new engine. How do I go about finding a replacement for this thing?

Lawn Addict
Threads
ebay or marketplace on FB

Lawn Addict
Threads
idk ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First let's start out with the current model and type of the engine that needs replacing.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The online engine warehouses used to be able to get you a compatible replacement engine.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I have a 30 year old Troybilt mulching mower whose design is not replicated these days. It needs a new engine. How do I go about finding a replacement for this thing?
As already stated," first lets start with..." B&S has a simple online method to see what they offer, and I bet it is easy but .. is it a house, a horse, a car, a plane? Match what?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need the model number, type, and code numbers that are stamped on the metal top housing, usually just over the spark plug for flat head motors. If you are pretty handy with tools you can usually find a new short block that replaces the worn out parts for reasonable money.

ChiefH

Threads
Does it have a vertical or horizontal shaft? What is the bolt pattern on the engine block? What is the shaft diameter? What kind of keyway and key does it use? What does the PTO match up with on the equipment.
If you match these up and select a 4HP or 5HP engine you will have a bolt in replacement.