Repair, Restore, Part out...Part 2

dfbroxy

Threads
Tinkered with the Exmark a little today. Started with the engine and would it turn over. Had to change battery first and find a key. No luck. Engine would not turn over. So I used a voltage tester to see if power was getting to starter. Nope.., Traced back to solenoid switch. Yep, its bad. So with that on my parts list I moved on. I used jumper cables, black on ground , and touched red on hot side of starter. Partial sucess. Turned a quarter turn. Hmmmm....What to do? Pull plugs and try to gently turn with a socket wrench by hand. Good news is it was hydrolocked by both cylinders. Turned engine by hand to get most of water out then with a funnel filled cylinders with transmission fluid. Current hypothesis is that is was parked outside for first time after aircleaner mod in off season and cylinders filled with water. However, I dont think that was last year. With the surface rust on mower and the fact that all three spindles are frozen, and the old belts that are there are so dryrotted, I would say that was 5 years ago. As I have said this is the first Exmark Lazor Z I have owned or worked on. I must say this is a remarkably well built machine and its a shame to see one treated as such.....but I wouldnt get the Joy and good fortune of owning and working on it otherwise.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tinkered with the Exmark a little today. Started with the engine and would it turn over. Had to change battery first and find a key. No luck. Engine would not turn over. So I used a voltage tester to see if power was getting to starter. Nope.., Traced back to solenoid switch. Yep, its bad. So with that on my parts list I moved on. I used jumper cables, black on ground , and touched red on hot side of starter. Partial success. Turned a quarter turn. Hmmmm....What to do? Pull plugs and try to gently turn with a socket wrench by hand. Good news is it was hydrolocked by both cylinders. Turned engine by hand to get most of water out then with a funnel filled cylinders with transmission fluid. Current hypothesis is that is was parked outside for first time after air cleaner mod in off season and cylinders filled with water. However, I don't think that was last year. With the surface rust on mower and the fact that all three spindles are frozen, and the old belts that are there are so dry rotted, I would say that was 5 years ago. As I have said this is the first Exmark Lazer Z I have owned or worked on. I must say this is a remarkably well built machine and its a shame to see one treated as such.....but I wouldn't get the Joy and good fortune of owning and working on it otherwise.
Good luck hope the rings are not stuck on the piston.

dfbroxy

Threads
100% my exact thoughts about rings. Im hoping the transmission fluid will help with that. I have used that old timers trick before successfully, but its not full proof.