Removing oil

hmeier4799

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower is TB30R. What is a good way for removing the oil the first time before removing the drain plug prior to installing a Drainzit?
I want to get the oil out before I pull the plug.
The extractors that I have found "on line" all seem to have some deficiency.
My mower came with a plastic drain trough that is to be snapped on.
I can not snap it on. Has any body succeeded in doing this?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Form you a funnel out of heavy duty aluminum foil.

hmeier4799

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. That seems like a good method. My first choice so far.
Better than trying to cut and shape a plastic jug.

GrowinWeeds

Threads
I assume you plan to turn the mower on its side to drain it? I'm not familiar w/ TB30R model - like where the oil filler tube is.
Depending on how heavy it it (or how strong you are), I turn mine on its side & let it drain into a wide, low oil drain pan.

Leave the dip stick in, until mower & pan are in a position to drain.
Also, depending on where the air filter is located. if you turn it where the air filter is nearer the ground, sometimes oil can get into the top of engine & on the air filter.
Depends on the model, where air filter is vs. where oil is most likely to go if you turn it, so the filter is closer to the ground than the bottom case of engine.

In that case, remove air filter first. You could also use a siphon - sold at auto parts, Walls Mart. & siphon a good bit out. Probably have to elevate the mower to get some difference between height of the bottom case & where the drain pan is sitting.

Note: the vinyl tubing usually on these siphons will get very hard after contacting oil, tranny fluid, etc., unless you clean it out w/ kerosene or such, immediately after you're done.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have been using a pneumatic oil extractor for several years now and have extracted well over 100 gallons so for with very good results. Even with thicker oils and being rather slow on these thicker oils it still provide good results and clean equipment. Another plus is that I don't have to clean messy oil spills and I can easily transfer the oil to jugs so I can carry it into the recycle center.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I got a vacuum pump when I bought the repair run 9 years ago and found it so good I bought 2 more.
These get used every day.
B & S make a big syringe for smaller engines but I use the 6 litre pumps for everything.
However if you bought one from Amazon or ebay then that is the problem.
Every person I know who bought one like that got a defective unit that failed in a very short time and eventually bought one from me for $ 120 ( Aus ) as comparred to the average of ( $ 30 ) they were paying on line.
Rule of thumb with on line shopping
If it does not have a brand name and the brand name is not listed then it should be considered as something that was rejected by Quality Control and sold by the factory as scrap the resold to you as a good product knowing that 99% of the purchasers will not leave negative feed back or even bother to make a claim if it does not work because it was really cheap .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually brought the HFT one. It claims to be 6.25 gallons but I normally don't go beyond 5 gallons before I empty as it get fairly heavy at 5 gallons. The rubber around the gauge has started going bad but that is expected after 6 years. I can't use on my truck as the dipstick is to skinny to put the pickup tube down everything else i have tried it on has been fine. I porbably would had brought one that is manual pumped vacced but since I have a 25 gal compressor I just use it to prime the extractor.

HFT 6.25 Oil Extractor.

hmeier4799

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the inputs. My mower is the small TB rider, too heavy for tipping as I do my self propelled walker. Only need an extractor for under 2 gallons.
Looking at the Briggs and Stratton #5430K $39.77. It has the best reviews.
Will also look at the Briggs Syringe.