Removing nut from spindle

rigoletto

Threads
Have an old MTD rider mower needing new spindles, and last time I replaced one years ago I had a friend use a impact gun to remove the nut. Is that the only way to do this? Planning ahead, so I am prepared.

Thanks, people.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not the only way but quickest way. Remember Safety First!

rigoletto

Threads
Not the only way but quickest way. Remember Safety First!
Thanks, but can you say what other way? I have time on my hands........

OOps, sorry for repeat post, I hit save too fast.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you don't have an impact gun, i usually get a 4x4 or 2x4 block that i can block the blade with against the deck, and use a cheater pipe/breaker bar on the nut.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then I must have been doing all wrong the last few years as I was just letting my Great Dane chew them off.

Btw if they are the large nuts then they are 24MM (15/16") and the user should be using impact sockets as these nut are tighten between 85 to 95 ft pounds and usually take a lot more to get them loose.

Also if disassembling the spinde take the pulley off first then the blade if using 2X or 4X.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Then I must have been doing all wrong the last few years as I was just letting my Great Dane chew them off.
I borrow the neighbors Weenie dog for some of them...........

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks, people, for so many good tips!! Wish me luck!

lbrac

Threads
Soaking the threads w/ penetrating oil (Kroil if possible) can sometimes work wonders. Putting a large hammer on one side of the nut and striking the opposite side of the nut with another hammer can sometimes help loosen the nut. Heating the nut slightly w/ a torch sometimes helps. There are hand held impact tools that use a socket and are struck on the top with a hammer; causing a cam inside to twist the nut that can sometimes help. If all else fails, a nut splitter might be the next method to try. It can sometimes take one method, or all, to loosen corroded threads on a shaft/nut. Using an anti-sieze compound upon reassembly can help keep the corrosion under control for the next time it needs to be disassembled.

mitchstein443

Threads
Just a thought here.. If your needing to remove the blades and do not have an impact gun or breaker bar, would it not be easier to remove the pulley, then the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the spindle to the deck, remove the spindle with the blade still attached through the bottom, then either throw away the old spindle and blade and replace with new OR if you really really wanna save that old dull blade (that costs about 20 bucks to replace) put the blade in a vice and then grind off the nut with a 20$ harbor freight grinder... Or just grind it off while still in the tractor, goto the hardware store and get a brand new nut for 50 cents if the nw spidle didn't come with one? I mean if your replacing the spindle why not replace the entire assembly then it doesn't matter how you destroy the old parts..