Remove wheel nut

Capt GoodVibes

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I would change out a wheel, thinking usual hex nut would be involved. However, I came accross a small nut cover which I presume has been added to prevent wheel loosening. I would appreciate advise on how to remove the nut cover in the attached photos without damaging it. I'm just popping down to the local shop to get a left handed screw driver:)

Goodvibes out.

Attachments

• new.JPG
    new.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Down here they are called Speed Nuts or Speed Washers
They are not reuseable
To remove you use a small pick ( modified screwdriver ) to bend the tabs forward.
If it has to be reused then you slip a hook of some sort behind it so you can put some pulling force on it ( not much ) then you go round & round lifting each tab till it slips towards you a thou or two
Cheap & nasty but they do work

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
it is like the one time use caps on the wagon or tricycle your kids had only more robust. You can also cut it with a dremel but make sure you can get replacements first if you cut itl

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes using a modified tool you can lift those tabs a little and work around the whole speed nut the walk it off and then it can be reused. Here I made my own tools to do this as many OEM charge for these speed like they contain gold.