Remington dies

tony norton

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm working on a Remington(?) model 13A277SF583 lawn tractor with a 4P90HUD 1708313A0436 MTD engine in it. The motor runs for 15 minutes and then dies. It will start right back up and then run for 5 minutes and then not until it cools right off.minutes. I thought ignition assy. but the last time it started to die I sprayed gasoline down the carb throat and it kept running. Thoughts? Valves, shut off on carb?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Emissions control system not venting tank correctly causing excessive vacuum preventing fuel flow from tank.

Born2Mow

Threads
You can test it by removing the cap, and trying to suck/blow through the vent. It should open easily at 1 psi in both directions.

Several ways to fix...
  • Take compressed air and blow into the fuel cap from both directions. The flapper valve inside is simply covered with crap from the ethanol which gummed it up.
  • Drill a TINY new hole in the cap. It doesn't take much, maybe 0.010 to 0.015".
  • I've seen some caps that actually come apart so you can get at the flapper. In those cases I simply REMOVE the flapper.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can test it by removing the cap, and trying to suck/blow through the vent. It should open easily at 1 psi in both directions.

Several ways to fix...
  • Take compressed air and blow into the fuel cap from both directions. The flapper valve inside is simply covered with crap from the ethanol which gummed it up.
  • Drill a TINY new hole in the cap. It doesn't take much, maybe 0.010 to 0.015".
  • I've seen some caps that actually come apart so you can get at the flapper. In those cases I simply REMOVE the flapper.
No vent in cap. Most likely contaminated charcoal canister or plugged rollover valve in top of tank. OP can loosen cap to see f the problem continues. Trying to use a fuel filter with too fine of mesh will cause similar issues.