Recommendation for a Zero-Turn as a Gift

pinkstonm

Threads
Son just bought a house with 1.5 acres 1 acre to mow.
Not interested in big box brands
Looking at 4k and less, what would be some good models to look at?

Preferences
NOT big box
Kawasaki or Briggs
48 manufactored deck

bkeller500

Threads
What type of grass? Any hills or berms ? Any ditches or culverts? What towable accessories would be needed down the road? Any gates? 4K will get you into the entry-level units but 5K might get you into a mid-range unit and you might need it depending on some of your answers. Simplicity, Snapper, John Deere, Scag, Ferris, Exmark, Toro.+ + + + lots of choices but more info needed first to advise. You might also consider a low hour used or trade-in unit. Do you want a tractor or a ZT?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dixie Chopper Z2 is a nice mower comes in 42 48 54 inch cutting deck. Showing Kawasaki engines but could be coming with Briggs this year. It is also available in a HP model.

pinkstonm

Threads
anyone with experience with the snapper 360? Seems like a nice unit, I had a snapper pro once and it was nice.

Ericcburson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Son just bought a house with 1.5 acres 1 acre to mow.
Not interested in big box brands
Looking at 4k and less, what would be some good models to look at?

Preferences
NOT big box
Kawasaki or Briggs
48 manufactored deck

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro Timecutter is one I'd recommend, having had one for 7 years. Never gave me any issues.

Ericcburson

Forum Newbie
Threads
With a $4000 budget buying brand new you will be in a mid level residential market. Box Store = residential. There isn’t any difference between a residential mower at Home Depot and a residential mower at the dealership. The dealership may have more residential mowers to choose from but there wont be a marked difference In quality vs price. (All have only 120 hour guarantees ) But there will always be better mowers available at a dealership that you won’t see at Home Depot because box stores don’t usually sell commercial mowers. Here is what I would recommend for buying in 2022 with 4k budget
Ariens Ikon X 915267 ·

Ultima ZT1 50 in. Fabricated Deck 23HP V-Twin Kawasaki FR Series Engine Dual Hydro Drive Gas Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower​

Zero Turn Mower.

Husqvarna Z248F 26HP 747cc Kohler Engine 48" FAB Z-Turn Mower​

Cub Cadet

Ultima ZT1 50 in. Fabricated Deck 23HP V-Twin Kawasaki FR Series Engine Dual Hydro Drive Gas Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower.​

This is best someone can get new or used at a $4000’ price point. It’s just not going to get you out of box store / residential quality. Non box store=commercial .
probably wont get a one piece stamped deck and reinforced framing and joints,anti roll protection or a 1000/1500 hour certification guarantee on a commercial engine unless you are willing to spend 9k-12k. Like a John Deere ztrac- 900 series.(still only 600 hours are guaranteed) Wright stander, scag turf tiger. X mark and toro Diesels.
hope this helps you better understand your situation. Commercial mowers with less than 500 hours rarely come up for sale and don’t usually come with any warranty.

Last edited:

oneoldsap

Threads
Find a used John Deere 925A . 54" if you can . 1000 Hrs. or less would be good . It will outlast any new residential machine you can buy for $4000.00 .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take a serious look at the Toro Timecutter. I would stay away from any from any unit built by MTD, as they are built mainly for the low end big box stores, but could have a major brand name such as TroyBilt, Cub Cadet and Craftsman. Finally, please buy from a reputable dealer.

bkeller500

Threads
anyone with experience with the snapper 360? Seems like a nice unit, I had a snapper pro once and it was nice.
The Snapper 360 is made by Briggs & Stratton ( parent company) and is a shared design with Simplicity. The Simplicity Courier is built like the Snapper 360 but with the added rear deck roller that aids in lawn striping. Both are good choices in the under $4 K range and will probably serve you longer than anything purchased at a Big Box Store. Good warranties, Good performance, at a reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate with either brand. More money will get you into mid-range units but I am not sure you require one if you are mowing 1-acre once or twice a week.