Rebuilt Intek 20 OHV 31P977 won't start

JPJ-2020

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had to replace the oil slinger/governor in this engine. Did so. Made sure the timing was lined up when I put everything back together. New gasket. Put a brand new carburetor on. Adjusted the valves to specs and in turning everything seems to be moving correctly, rods were functioning etc not bent or anything. Did spark plug test and it is getting a spark. When I try to start this (I do have the air filter off so I can get to everything) the starter turns everything over but it never fires. I've put starter in and one time I got a pop but most of the time nothing. This mower did sit (in a garage) for 4 years and the solenoid was frozen but I went ahead and replaced the whole carburetor which came with one. Any ideas on something I am missing here? I appreciate any help someone might have. Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Engine needs Spark (at the right time) Fuel, and Compression... and correct valve timing.
i would check the flywheel key that is aligned perfect and not sheared.
Or if you have any starting fluid/carburetor cleaner, spray some into the intake through the carburetor, then try to start, if it starts then dies, probably a fuel issue, if it doesn't hit on carb spray through intake probably a spark timing issue.

Born2Mow

Threads
Some engines do not fire every time the piston comes to TDC. On these types of engines you must make certain that the spark occurs when both valves are closed. IOW, you must make sure the fire is on the compression stroke.

The common behavior that gives this condition away is that the engine will fire with the exhaust valve open, which (after many attempts) results in a "fart" type noise from the muffler.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs 31P are wasted spark magneto version as is most Briggs small engines use on lawncare equipment. Once you get pass twins then things starts changing.

Born2Mow

Threads
Briggs 31P are wasted spark magneto version as is most Briggs small engines use on lawncare equipment. Once you get pass twins then things starts changing.
Agreed. Most smaller, single cyl engines use wasted spark. Wasn't familiar with the quoted model number, but the OP seemed to be desperate.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Confucius say. If it worked before you changed oil slinger and govenor gear start there. Cam timing can cause that problem. Double check flywheel key. If it is good then spark timing is good. Double check valve lash and spark. Spray some starting fluid in the carb and try to start. If it doesn't try to start you have a compression issue probably due to cam timing. Or it is because it is thursday.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would do is recheck the valve clearance, before reopening to check the timing marks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
MODEL 310000 VERTICAL SERIES
Valve Clearance – Intake .003 - .005 in. (.08 - .13 mm)
Valve Clearance – Exhaust .005 - .007 in. (.13 - .18 mm)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The usual trouble shooting when there is a spark, the timing key looks good, the rockers are moving as they should, there is compression & the engine does not respond to fuel down the plug hole is to rotate the engine with a pencil down the plug hole and mark the spot where valves open & close on the flywheel AGAINST THE DEPARTURE SIDE LEG OF THE MAGNETO with relation to the position of the piston