Rear wheels spin but not really helping move the mower forward

hikerguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Rear wheels spin but not really helping move the mower forward
I have a Toro I bought back in 2009 and it's still alive and kicking. I replaced the belt and throttle cables this past summer because the rear wheels weren't really working anymore. Now, when I lift up the back end and depress the lever to engage the wheels they spin just fine. But when I'm walking behind it (on level ground), I don't feel like it's really helping at all.

As you might imagine, the wheel tread is worn pretty good, but there is some left. Could low tread make that much of a difference in self-propelling the mower (given I'm cutting on level ground)? It just seems to me it should feel like it's assisting some still, but maybe tread depth really does make that much difference. Just wanting advice before I drop $40-$50 on rear wheels.

Toro Recycler 22"
model# 20332
s/n 290063199888-384-9939

Thanks,

Andy

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put the mower on some concrete, see if the wheels are spinning or just not pulling.

hikerguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
There's no doubt the wheels are spinning just fine. I just came across a few sites where people did a retread using bicycle tread (securing it by drilling screws into the wheel). I'm going to give that a shot in a few days and will post the results here.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can do what you want, but that drive is not off a quad for knobby tires. If those tires don’t spin on grass, knobbies won’t either. It’s either the gears or the belt tension is not adjusted properly. You don’t have to believe me, but I did one like that this past summer.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One reason I don't like front wheel drive propelled mowers. Have to lift on the handle to get traction. I have filed grooves in the tires on an old Murray that we had, helped a lot with traction.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tom this Toro is a rear wheel drive mower.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oops. Says so in the first post even. Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a problem, just didn’t want someone else to think it was rear wheel. Just would like to see how the OP will install screws in those tire. Will probably look like the studded snow tires we used to have in Wisconsin in the fifties. Dug in but really tore up the roads.

hikerguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can do what you want, but that drive is not off a quad for knobby tires. If those tires don’t spin on grass, knobbies won’t either. It’s either the gears or the belt tension is not adjusted properly. You don’t have to believe me, but I did one like that this past summer.
Rivets, thanks for your reply. I guess what I don't understand is how can it be the gears or belt tension if I can pick up the back end of the mower while it's running, push in the lever to engage the drive mechanism and see the wheels spin freely? It just makes no sense why the mower is not assisting AT ALL when it's on the ground and I push on the handle that engages the drive mechanism but will spin when off the ground. Can you explain that?