Rear or side discharge

Rickw

Threads
I was just looking at he parts diagram and it looks like a deck can be changed from side to rear discharge? I have a 727efi w/ 61" Powerfold front deck side discharge. First off I have never used a rear discharge mower, Is there any advantages or disadvantages to rear discharge? Seems like it would keep clippings from going all over you. Has anybody ever changed one over if it is possible?

Rocky J

Threads
I have a 60 inch mower on a Cub lo boy with the rear discharge and it will handle heavier grass, because it cuts it and drives forward off of it were my side discharge has to move it across the deck to the opening so it will plug up or wind row the grass, and as a extra you can mow both ways there is no clockwise or counter clockwise the new rule is aim at uncut grass. Also I do not blow holes in my vinyl siding .

gsim

Threads
I like the idea of rear discharge. Suspect golf course mowers use decks like that to eliminate visible clippings. But I suspect that more crap can get scucked up to clog radiator fins with rear discharge. I know that I am going to add a home made dust catcher beneath me seat to catch some of the dust on it that otherwise gets on the debris/dust catcher on the radiator. Simple frame with some plastic screen windw stuff ought to do it. Regards taking deck off of my front mount 930D2 for ANY rason, no way in hell I want to open THAT can of worms!!! If you do so, be sure toround up some help to get the other deck mounted. Harder to replace than to remove!

Ben-Ben

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased another 725D with a rear discharge deck. Was going to buy a rear discharge deck for my other 725D and switch when I wanted to use bagger. I priced new rear discharge deck and it is pricey, which is expected, but I was ready to buy. A used 725D with rear discharge deck came available. It seemed like the right choice for me to buy. Dealers don't talk much about rear discharge decks either. Love them or hate them. Decks have 1 clockwise blade and 2 counterclockwise blades instead of 3 the same on side discharge. They also have 2 different blade pulley drive belts instead of only 1 on side discharge. There is also a trash shield kit #504643 which covers under mower to keep grass clippings from getting to hydro motor and engine compartments. So far I like rear discharge deck and can keep grass clippings from blowing in the flower beds and unwanted areas. Grass seems evenly distributed out the back. I don't see a downside so far, only positive feelings about it and I can mow in any direction I want without worrying about blowing grass in unwanted areas.

gsim

Threads
I really like rear discharge concept. Popular for golf course use in other brands. Only two things against it that I can imagine.
1. Not possible to monitor discharge volume. If something happens electrically to cause an electric clutch to start slipping, earliest indicator you have is discharge volume. Happened to me once on my Hopper 930 D2. Was faulty relay. Good thing I saw it because would not take long for entire clutch to overheat, damaging the windings in electromagnet. That could cost way, way more than an $8 relay.

2. Far greater volume of trash and dust to coat hydro pumps, etc, and to be sucked up by engine cooling fan draft and bound to make radiator need thorough cleaning more often. I intend to add a home made trash cathcher beneath the seat on my side discharge unit. Vast majority of dust and debris comes from rear of deck regardless of side discharge or rear discharge.