Rear belt guard on Honda HRR216K9VKA is not like video

FL Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Rear belt guard on Honda HRR216K9VKA is not like video
I have a 2016 Honda HRR216K9VKA self-propelled mower. It's pulling weakly, and all signs point to needing a new belt, so I found a video for this model on you tube (can't find it now) that seemed straight forward. Everything matched up except the part where they remove the rear belt guard to release the belt. The video shows two 10-mm bolts on top of the rear belt guard, but my mower has no bolts there. I only have 4 bolts on the bottom that hold the transmission gears. It seems that I need to remove the belt wheel, and the bolt holding it is threaded with a nut at its base, so it seems possible but I can't get them loose. I'm not sure that's correct, so I went looking for advice.
I found another video that shows how to disassemble the entire mower, but when they get to the part near the belt removal, they remove the entire rear axle! The manual talks about maintenance, but doesn't include belt replacement. Anyone have an idea?

Rich M.

Threads
Yes, you are correct about the video and the version you have. It can be done but different steps are needed. For one the transmission spring needs to be undone and that will allow you use a long handle screw drive to rotate the transmission to remove the belt. The Honda service manual explains this in full detail.

Hope this helps.

Briantii

Threads
I’d clean the bushings where the drive shaft comes through first… The belts last a really long time normally… the bushings not so much.