Re-power Toro Zero Turn

BadaBing

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to re-power my Toro Z-turn SS4216 Model# 74616.
I would rather not buy the "Toro" engine. It is currently selling at $1500. I have researched and found that this "Toro" is a rebranded Loncin engine, LC1P92F-1. I have read that this engine is also used on other mowers: "Poulan Pro PP17G42, Toro 74616 Time Cutter SS 4216, Toro 74629 Time Cutter SS 3216, Toro 74621 Time Cutter SS 3200, EXmark QTE452CEM42100 42" Quest E-Series, EXmark QTE452CEM42200 42" Quest E-Series and EXmark QTS452CEM34200 42" Quest E Series". I'm working on getting a price from a Poulan Pro Dealer.

Has anyone bought an engine from a company called engine4less.com?

Has anyone tried to replace a Toro engine with a non-Toro engine? If so, how did it go?

Thank you for any help you may bring.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Any engine can replace any engine, just about, as long is you consider, Crankshaft length and diameter, Horsepower, wiring, (stator,carb solenoid, starter, kill wire etc)
Most engine mounting bolt patterns are the same, so Zturns will be this, riding mowers will be that, and push mowers will be something else, but usually all the same, in their category.
I've never used E4L before. generally Brand New engines or Small Engine wharehouse or surplus center.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I need to re-power my Toro Z-turn SS4216 Model# 74616.
I would rather not buy the "Toro" engine. It is currently selling at $1500. I have researched and found that this "Toro" is a rebranded Loncin engine, LC1P92F-1. I have read that this engine is also used on other mowers: "Poulan Pro PP17G42, Toro 74616 Time Cutter SS 4216, Toro 74629 Time Cutter SS 3216, Toro 74621 Time Cutter SS 3200, EXmark QTE452CEM42100 42" Quest E-Series, EXmark QTE452CEM42200 42" Quest E-Series and EXmark QTS452CEM34200 42" Quest E Series". I'm working on getting a price from a Poulan Pro Dealer.

Has anyone bought an engine from a company called engine4less.com?

Has anyone tried to replace a Toro engine with a non-Toro engine? If so, how did it go?

Thank you for any help you may bring.
Why not just put another Toro/Loncin engine on it? It’s cheap. Your Toro is a residential unit. The mower will likely have other problems before the engine goes bad. It’s your money so, you can do what you like. I just don’t think it’s advantageous to put a higher priced engine on your machine.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
another option is to contact some mower salvage yards and see if they have one that was put to pasture for a bad transmission or other issues. I've gotten some good things from mower salvage yards. You might be able to get a good running engine for a reasonable price.

they are even on ebay new for $359. 1" X 3-5/32" vertical

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought $359 was a better price, but maybe I don't know the new math.

BadaBing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any engine can replace any engine, just about, as long is you consider, Crankshaft length and diameter, Horsepower, wiring, (stator,carb solenoid, starter, kill wire etc)
Most engine mounting bolt patterns are the same, so Zturns will be this, riding mowers will be that, and push mowers will be something else, but usually all the same, in their category.
I've never used E4L before. generally Brand New engines or Small Engine wharehouse or surplus center.
Thank you for your reply and information, this would be my first engine replacement, so I'll be learning as I go. :)

BadaBing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why not just put another Toro/Loncin engine on it? It’s cheap. Your Toro is a residential unit. The mower will likely have other problems before the engine goes bad. It’s your money so, you can do what you like. I just don’t think it’s advantageous to put a higher priced engine on your machine.
I believe the Toro/Loncin is overpriced at $1500, the only Loncin I have found is at engine4less, $900, and it is advertised as a Poulan Pro unit. Since I've not dealt with them before, I was asking if anyone had experience with them.