Raptor SD won't start

SeanJones311

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, i've got a '16 Hustler Raptor SD and i'm having some issues with it. I can jump it off and it will run fine until i pull the pto and it kills the engine. And then it wont start again unless i jump it off. I've read of the other threads so i changed the starter solenoid, the starter, checked the seat switch. When i turn the key, i hear a couple clicks but thats it. I'm not electric savy so i was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. Thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Load test the battery.

Do a parasitic draw test on the charging system.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So lets start from the top
What is the make & model number of your engine ?
Are you saying that it will not start from the key ?
Jump ?
Bridge the solenoid terminals ?
Run jumpers from the mowers battery ?
Run jumpers off an external battey ?
If using jumper leads where do you connect them to ?
Was it playing up last season ?
Where is it usually stored during winter ?

SeanJones311

Forum Newbie
Threads
So lets start from the top
What is the make & model number of your engine ?
Are you saying that it will not start from the key ?
Jump ?
Bridge the solenoid terminals ?
Run jumpers from the mowers battery ?
Run jumpers off an external battey ?
If using jumper leads where do you connect them to ?
Was it playing up last season ?
Where is it usually stored during winter ?
PS-KT740-3042

And yes I have to run jumper cables from my truck battery to the battery on the mower and then when i turn the key it will start. I don’t think the battery is drained because as soon as I hook up the jumper cables I can start it. It seems to run fine after I jump it off, but as soon as I engage the PTO it kills the engine.

I've tried to bridge the solenoid terminals and that doesn't help anything.

It has been running fine. I cut with it 2 times this season and the 3rd time when i went to pull the PTO it died on me.

I store it under a lean-to, so it doesn't get rained on but does get the cold weather.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well that says dead battery for starters
Running with a dead battery puts a big load on the alternator and the rectifier
In fact I have seen melted stators from doing just that
So the next bit is to check the alternator output at the battery
We need a DC voltage between the batteru terminals whith the engine off & again with the engine full speed
Also an AC at the battery terminals with the engine full speed

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
After jump starting the battery only has a surface charge which the fuel solenoid is using. Once engage the electric PTO it quickly drains that surface charge and fuel solenoid drops out cutting the main nozzle fuel supply; therefore, shutting down the engine.

You will find the voltage regulator has failed for one thing. Plus the battery might be damage from being drawn down so low. Have it recharge and load tested.

I have already replaced two Briggs, two Kawasaki, and three Kohler voltage regulator this Spring in my shop. Good thing I restocked back in the Winter. Now of course I got to do all over again.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of those PTO's drink some amperage. Most people don't run the engine at full revs. Idle down when the cell phone rings.

You keep saying is starts fine "with jumper cables and a truck". Does that not tell you anything sir? YOUR battery alone is not strong enough to spin the motor over. Get a Battery Tender for starters.

Where was the mower stored over the winter? Guessing out in the elements? Was the battery pulled and brought into conditioned air over the winter? Placed on a Battery Tender?

SeanJones311

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate all the replies. I haven't had much time to look at it anymore. I'll be trying some of these suggestions tomorrow when i get some time.