Ramsomes 951d Idler Pulley

OCMA-Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

Our Model Airplane club has a Ransomes 951D mower. We are a non-profit and maintain our airfield ourselves, all volunteer. We have an issue with an Idler Pulley in one of the wing decks. The bearings no longer fit tight and the pulley wobbles. I have been looking all over for a source for parts and not found one yet. I am hoping someone has or can point me in the direction where I can find one. According to the manual, part number is: 146169. As a last resort we may be able to have a machine shop repair it, but we'd really like to replace it with a good one.

Please contact me via email: Tim.Cardin@Cardinwest.Com

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Considering that you are a club of taliented builders most of which will have a reasonable workshop .
If the old pulley is riveted or spot welded together, drill them out replace the bearing then rivet, weld or bolt it together again

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No need as the bearings are held in place by snap rings.

1660169639422.png
Brg-ball 17 X 40 X 12
6203-2RS
If it is the outer bearing that is loose then it will harder to repair.

OCMA-Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Considering that you are a club of taliented builders most of which will have a reasonable workshop .
If the old pulley is riveted or spot welded together, drill them out replace the bearing then rivet, weld or bolt it together again
Yes, we are and have been taking care of our mower for almost 10 years now. It has been very reliable mowing 20+ acres on a regular basis. Unfortunately this pulley is cast and not serviceable. The bearings are OK, the pulley is worn so bad the bearings will fall out without the C Clips in place. Apparently they were replaced in 1998 (written on the pulley) probably because one seized.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending how worn the pulley is you can cut a piece of pop can and shim the bearing in the pulley. Best to use a press and not a hammer to get the bearing in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Speedi sleeve on the bearings then shrink fit them back in .
Clock the pulley hole as it might need correction first
When it is all said & done, it is just a pulley
Cast iron pulleys aluminium pulleys and brass pulleys are stock items at most good engineering supply shops
If it has a drive key you can brooch a pulley with nothing more than a fly press
I have done it to make parts for farm gear by using one of those round diamond hack saw blades to make a slot then a piston ring segment sharpened to brooch the bottom of the slot square.
If you an make a Liberator that flys, then the skills needed are there .