Raging engine, again!

Rickcin

Threads
I have a CC lawn tractor with a 22 hp Koehler twin engine and it’s about 3 yrs old. Two seasons ago the engine was surging and eventually it stopped so I was thinking it was a fuel issue. Now today, for the first time this season, I’m noticing that it’s surging again and I only notice it at half throttle! I only use non ethanol gas and I always add stabilizer.

should I be concerned with this surging or just wait it out to see if it’s a fuel issue? Thanks

Rickcin

Threads

Attachments

• 83116002-9896-4A72-94FC-2ED4DC7B02A9.jpeg
    83116002-9896-4A72-94FC-2ED4DC7B02A9.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 11

Rickcin

Threads
Here it is, thanks!
surging is too much air, or not enough fuel... most of the time a blockage in the idle circuit of the carburetor. it can also be a leaking intake gasket allowing in air past the carburetor.
post the model and spec numbers.
View attachment 56529
Will running the mower until the end of the season (November) be harmful since I could then get it back to the shop to be serviced?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I wouldn't think so... I've personally never seen major issues/damage caused by surging.

Rickcin

Threads
I wouldn't think so... I've personally never seen major issues/damage caused by surging.
Thanks! So I will continue to use it and send it in for service this winter.
It’s just odd since it was doing this over a year ago and then it ran fine until now?

Born2Mow

Threads
I only use non ethanol gas and I always add stabilizer.
The stabilizer's job is to keep the ethanol in solution with the gasoline. If you don't have it, then the ethanol separates and you'll get portions of fuel with higher than 15% ethanol to gasoline ratio, which a normal engine can't possibly burn.

But, since your fuel has NO ethanol to begin with, I'm wondering why you bother. Stabilizer does nothing for non-ethanol fuel.

mehan

Threads
The stabilizer's job is to keep the ethanol in solution with the gasoline. If you don't have it, then the ethanol separates and you'll get portions of fuel with higher than 15% ethanol to gasoline ratio, which a normal engine can't possibly burn.

But, since your fuel has NO ethanol to begin with, I'm wondering why you bother. Stabilizer does nothing for non-ethanol fuel.
Stabilizers also contain anti-oxidants which prevents the fuel from oxidizing during prolonged storage and subsequent varnish formation and sediment. A little 2-cycle oil will do the same thing.