R transaxle locked up

div4gold

Threads
Toro Timecutter 5060. mdl 74641 about 8 yrs old SN314000001. Was cutting grass and it just died. Couldn't get it started so I pushed in the bypass's and turned on the key and towed it backwards about 100 ft to where I could work on it. Got it running and now the R transaxle is locked up , the wheel won't turn in either direction. The L transaxle works fine. When it's running an putting the R transaxle lever in forward or reverse it just makes a sound like maybe the hydro fluid is coming up to some kine of block. With the motor running if I engage and disengage the L transaxle bypass lever it moves freely. If I do the same with the R transaxle bypass you can hear gears grinding but it has no effect on the Locked wheel. The electric brake seems to be working properly. Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check down on the side of the R hydro drive and make sure the toothed brake arm is releasing from the toothed brake gear. It sounds like the right brake isn't releasing.

div4gold

Threads
Check down on the side of the R hydro drive and make sure the toothed brake arm is releasing from the toothed brake gear. It sounds like the right brake isn't releasing.
This model doesn't have the toothed gear on the outside of the case, it has a rod and lever that work the brake. It moves back and forth when you turn the key on and off.

div4gold

Threads
So, could it be the brake module or key switch?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This unit's hydro uses a cam brake that is internal to the transaxles. Look where brake linkage connects to the transaxle brake lever. Now make a mark across the shaft and lever connection point. Activate or de-activate the braking. Does the marks stay line up but move in unison? IF not then union is strip out: otherwise if things are moving as the should you have an internal problem with the transaxle.

Items 32 and 31 is the lever and shaft. Item 30 is the brake pawl inside the transaxle. Item 40 is the seal.

ZT-2800 Brake.JPG

div4gold

Threads
This unit's hydro uses a cam brake that is internal to the transaxles. Look where brake linkage connects to the transaxle brake lever. Now make a mark across the shaft and lever connection point. Activate or de-activate the braking. Does the marks stay line up but move in unison? IF not then union is strip out: otherwise if things are moving as the should you have an internal problem with the transaxle.

Items 32 and 31 is the lever and shaft. Item 30 is the brake pawl inside the transaxle. Item 40 is the seal.

View attachment 54339
I'll check that out today. Thanks