Quote advice

jasonban87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys!

New here and I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this in.

I'm planning to have my yard remodeled and redesigned. I got an initial quote from my contractor for $25000+ CAD which is about $19500 USD excluding labour. They're gonna work on a total area of 4305 sq ft. Whole project includes seeding, landscaping, fountain and pond installation. I have exactly no idea if this is a good estimate or if I am being overcharged. My only reference is this article about the average cost of landscaping in Canada https://alpinecredits.ca/cost-of-landscaping/ I'm planning to negotiate the price a little bit, but if it's a good price, then I'll leave it at that. I want to see what advice you guys have to give since I have no experience whatsoever here so I don't know if this is overpriced or just the right price. Thanks in advance!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi guys!

New here and I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this in.

I'm planning to have my yard remodeled and redesigned. I got an initial quote from my contractor for $25000+ CAD which is about $19500 USD excluding labour. They're gonna work on a total area of 4305 sq ft. Whole project includes seeding, landscaping, fountain and pond installation. I have exactly no idea if this is a good estimate or if I am being overcharged. My only reference is this article about the average cost of landscaping in Canada https://alpinecredits.ca/cost-of-landscaping/ I'm planning to negotiate the price a little bit, but if it's a good price, then I'll leave it at that. I want to see what advice you guys have to give since I have no experience whatsoever here so I don't know if this is overpriced or just the right price. Thanks in advance!
Get one or more additional estimates.

jasonban87

Forum Newbie
Threads

Won't that make me feel like I'm betraying my contractor? Also, they seem to be really ready about the project. I guess I'll have to work on how to tell them that I chose another contractor if ever I find better rates.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Won't that make me feel like I'm betraying my contractor? Also, they seem to be really ready about the project. I guess I'll have to work on how to tell them that I chose another contractor if ever I find better rates.
I don't know of another way for you to know that you're getting a fair deal other than getting competitive bids. I wouldn't base your decision soley on price - being comfortable with a contractor is very important. But It's pretty standard to get 3 bids for a project in the USA , maybe that's different in Canada?

Born2Mow

Threads
Exactly.

Most "contractors" are staffed up to build, not landscape. You'll feel really stupid when you find out the contractor simply called a local landscaping firm and then added on $2000 for the privilege of making a phone call you could have made.

When we built our house, our builder wanted to pour the entire driveway. We called in a local crew that did nothing but concrete driveways, and I'm glad we did. The pad the contractor poured is already cracking and sinking. The portion we contracted looks brand new 6 years later.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can spend an armored truck load of cash on your lawn. When and you will get older, you will find these words come to mind. "Some things are just NOT that important anymore". Do you really want all the fuss about keeping the fish alive, critters wanting to eat them daily? Pond pumps failing all the time. FIlters blah blah......Then there's the rest of the yard work. Is the wife going to help out here? LOL

Whomever family member wants all that, just take a visit to your local zoo. A whole lot cheaper.

slomo

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
I'm planning to have my yard remodeled and redesigned. Whole project includes... fountain and pond installation. My only reference is this article about the average cost of landscaping in Canada.
Pond ? In Canada ?
Don't you mean ice skating rink ?? :ROFLMAO: