Questions on a new to me B7200HST

Hitechluddite

Threads
This looks to be a well cared for tractor 880hrs. Deck is solid all lights and controls work. Only problem so far is it won't start when cold unless you give it a small shot of starting fluid in the air cleaner then it fires right up. There is a small puff of whiteish/gray smoke when it cold starts but only lasts for a second then the exhaust is clean. The Trans is a little noisy when it climbs a steep hill but it doesn't lose speed. The cruise control holds speed but never at the speed you set it to, it always drops back about 25%. I'm going to try and locate a manual tonight and start studying but would appreciate any advice on the listed problems

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the hard cold starting is due to glow plugs not working. Need to be very careful about using starting fluid around glow plug systems because engine damage can result. Hydro noise can be normal especially when under load.

Hitechluddite

Threads
I downloaded the owners, service and parts manuals and the cold start problem was as simple as not preheating the glow plugs. You have to turn the ignition key to the left and hold for 20-30 seconds then attempt a start. I ordered a new air filter and fuel filter for it, they were pleasantly affordable. Not knowing the service history I'm thinking about changing the oil and then the radiator fluid out first. I would like to drain and service the hydrostatic but need to read up on that first.

lugbolt

Threads
throw the starting fluid away. It may have already damaged the engine. Very common. Usually breaks the ring lands and/or bends the rods.

I would suggest a compression test ASAP to rule out a compression issue. Review the workshop manual for the correct pressures. I "think" 380-420 psi is close. The higher the better. They won't hardly run much below 300, if at all.

Probably either low voltage going to the glow plugs, failing glow plug(s) or low compression. All of those are characterized by hard starting.

Hitechluddite

Threads
I have access to a compression gauge, I'll check the procedure, I never did one on a diesel. I think it has good power, I reseeded a cleared out wooded area last weekend using the tailgate from my 5X8 utility trailer with over 100lbs of rock on it to smooth and cover the seed and it pulled it right up a hill without much RPM loss. I used very little starting fluid only twice, I'll ask the previous owner about it. It starts pretty good now that I know to preheat the glow plugs, given the age do you think they are probably weak? I'll also check battery voltage during cranking, I know the battery isn't very old but I also think it's undersized.