Questions about sand or other media blasters

smhardesty

Threads
I've been doing quite a bit of refurbishing of older push mowers for resell. I've had to do quite a bit of work on the decks to make them look almost new. I have one on the bench right now that needs to be completely stripped, then shot with primer and paint. I'm going to use Citristrip to remove the paint, but I've been wondering about using a sand blaster for such projects. I've done just a little research into different media blasters, but I have a couple of questions. Actually all the questions are simply about how to either control the mess or what type of media I could use in an open driveway that wouldn't need cleaning up.

So, first question: Is there some easy way to control the spread of sand (or other media) if I use a blaster out on my open driveway and can then be cleaned up easily? Second question: Is there a biodegradable type of media I could use that wouldn't require cleaning up afterwards?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And paved or concrete can very dangerous for slip and falls because of the media being on it. Also you need some safety equipment on your part to prevent injuries such as eye damage.

I have heard of crush walnut shells used as media which would be biodegradable and sold through HFT. Either media can get expensive when not use in blast cabinet.

smhardesty

Threads
Yeah, I'm wanting to stay away from a cabinet. I have large parts that need paint stripped and I have ZERO room for one in my shop. That's why I asked about how to do it in an open driveway.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use a wet blaster and do it over your lawn
And if you use walnut shells you will be adding mulch to the grass .

smhardesty

Threads
Use a wet blaster and do it over your lawn
And if you use walnut shells you will be adding mulch to the grass .
I just did some research on wet blasters. That might very well work for me. I'm going to have to do some additional reading about wet blasters. One of those could very well solve my problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Solves the dust problem as well
Farmers do a lot of wet blasing as it is very hard to get a 1000Hp tractor intoa blasting cabinet .
So tractor shops or stock & station agents might be the way to go .