Question about rebuilding a 10 year old Homelite trimmer.

Oddball

Threads
  • / Question about rebuilding a 10 year old Homelite trimmer.
Well its not a complete rebuild, I'm just replacing gaskets, primer bulb, fuel lines and filter. The gaskets (crankcase, cylinder head, etc.) have what looks to be a red sealant around them. Should I use a gasket sealant on them or is this red stuff just a pre-applied sealer. I'm not messing with the carb other than to replace the gasket where it attaches to the engine and replacing the primer bulb. I don't want to rebuild the carb until I know for sure I have to. I started tinkering with the engine when it died a few weeks ago and discovered the primer bulb had a small hole in it and every time I pressed it I got gas all over my finger. I also noticed a lot of the bolts were loose, the cylinder head bolts were loose enough to easily turn by hand with a star bit driver. The crankcase bolts were not very tight, and so on. I think between the primer bulb and the loose bolts, that may have been the whole trouble. Oh, I'm replacing the spark plug also, it still has the original one. I've done nothing to this thing in the 10 years I've owned it except change the air filter and make sure I ran it dry of gas after each use so none was sitting in the carb. I guess considering that, its held up like a champ.

Giles

Threads
I would take my chances by just tightening all loose items. You might even use a small amount of "locktite" on the threads. Just remember that when an engine is run under the conditions you are describing, the threads may be worn:mad:
Over the years, I have tightened many loose items with great success.
If this does not solve your problems --then replace needed gaskets. Most likely, the red sealant was not applied at factory.

Oddball

Threads
I would take my chances by just tightening all loose items. You might even use a small amount of "locktite" on the threads. Just remember that when an engine is run under the conditions you are describing, the threads may be worn:mad:
Over the years, I have tightened many loose items with great success.
If this does not solve your problems --then replace needed gaskets. Most likely, the red sealant was not applied at factory.

I had considered just tightening everything up and only replacing what absolutely needed it, but this is as much a fun project just to do it as it is actually getting this thing up and working for use. I've already gotten a replacement, so this is not needed. If I can get it up and running again I may sell it or give it to someone that needs it. The bolts I've looked at all appear OK, but I'll pay closer attention now that you've mentioned that. The red stuff on the gaskets appears to be a bead of sealer. Its a neat bead around all the openings and screw holes and is difinitely machine applied, and the gaskets were are in sealed bags. I don't see how it could not be factory applied. The parts diagrams I found for this machine actually give torque values for various bolts and also tell which ones should have locktite on them.

benski

Threads
You actually found parts for this pride and joy? :cool: That's pretty good parts support for a brand that has changed owners as Homelite has.

Oddball

Threads
Yes, I was surprised also. My trimmer actually was made by John Deere according to the info plate on the engine. I know a lot of the Homelite stuff is now made by Ryobi. Who else makes Homelite products? The Homelite website has a link to a parts house. Their catalog lists many, many Homelite products. I had a hard time finding my specific one amongst all the ones listed. In the catalog they have dashes in the model number of my trimmer but that's the only place the dashes are used, and you have to enter the model number exactly as they have it or the search function won't find it. Fortunately I still had my manual from when I bought the trimmer, and it has a parts diagram with part numbers and I was able to look up specific parts and that led me to all the items they fit, including my trimmer model with the dashes. Once I knew how to enter my model number, I was able to pull up all the exploded diagrams and get all part numbers, etc. I actually found another place that appeared to carry parts for a lot of Homelite products, including mine, and they were cheaper on shipping by about half, but they didn't have a couple of the items I needed, so I just got everything from the one Homelite's site sent me to and ate the shipping. Shipping was almost half what the parts cost.