Question about oil drain plug on F850V Kawasaki on DixieChopper

andrew3d

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Question about oil drain plug on F850V Kawasaki on DixieChopper
I understand when I loosen this bolt (see picture below) the warm oil will drain out the pipe to the left. The only problem is none of my wrenches fit? Is there a special tool needed? I did notice the bolt head has a slot in it. What am I missing?

kawasakioildrainplug.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nothing special about it other it is a 10 mm on that 49116-0714 oil drain. BTW it is $6.60 to replace it here plus labor and a 16mm o-ring. Everything except the mounting bolts are usually metric on the Kawasaki engines.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What @StarTech said.☝️The “slot” is squared, try the business end of a 1/4” ratchet and extension.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What @StarTech said.☝️The “slot” is squared, try the business end of a 1/4” ratchet and extension.
The 49116-0714 [in hand] is not squared. It is 10 mm externally [socket or wrench], internal hole is a 6mm hex [6 mm metric hex key], and the slot is across the 10mm so you would need a flat blade screwdriver at least 12 mm wide.

Hex = 6 sides not 4 sides [square].

Most of these oil drains I replace are due to the use of the wrong tools. It is best to use a socket as usually you can use an extension and ratchet or ratchet wrench. I have yet to so square drive on any of them.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
6mm hex? Couldn’t tell because of the mud dauber nest.