Question about buying tires.

Shawn R.

Threads
I have an old Murray riding mower and the tires on it are all old and cracked. Just today, one of the back tires finally gave out and it came off the rim. It has a crack in it that gave way. I want to purchase four new tires but I'm not sure which brands to purchase. I know the exact tire sizes for the front and rear. The front is 15x6.00-6NHs and the rear is 18x8.50-8NHs. Are there any good deals on tires of these sizes? Do they come with the rims? I'm looking to spend maybe $100 for four tires if possible. I was searching the web for tires and realized that these ones don't end in "NHs". Does it really matter what they end in so as long as the measurements are exact (like 15x6.00-6)?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Carlisle is the best, IMO.

they generally don't come with rims.

Shawn R.

Threads
Thanks. I'll probably go with these.

Bange

Threads
This post aroused my curiosity and doubts about my tires.
I imagine they are already 11 years old (the cutter is from 2010), as they all have micro cracks on the sides, and at the rear there is a small leak that wilts in 3 or 4 days.
Taking him to a tire shop, he found that there were no holes or leaks through the valve ... but the air escapes through some of the micro cracks and the solution is to place air chambers.
When reading the measurements I noticed that the rear ones are Carlisle (20x8.00-8) and the front ones are from Oregon (15x6.00-6) Unlike automotive measurements, these have measurements in the format AAxB, B-C, all in inches.
AA = outer diameter of the tire.
B, BB = tire width.
C = inner diameter of the tire (or rim).

In Oregon, all measurements are correct with the inscription, but the Carlisle diameter of 2 inches is missing !!!!

Would anyone know where to find the tire manufacturing date?
And also where did almost 2 inches of tire end up?
Were they in the cookies or did they shrink?

I don't know the height or depth of the grooves on a new tire

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a legal requirement on mower tyres so most won't have one as it costs money .
Some good off road tyre dressings work wonders
Not having the same wheels sitting in the sunlight also helps the longevity .

Bange

Threads
In fact, knowing the age now is not very important, but in a new purchase yes ... I hope that with the air chambers they will still last a long time.
But what about the difference in outside diameter?
Where did the 2 inches go?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The diameter size number is a general description. So close is good enough. Tires for highway use (cars and trucks) are considered a pressurized container so they are required to have a serial number and a manufacture date and tires have an expiration date of 6 years from date of manufacture. NHS (not for highway service) tires are not regulated so usually don't have a serial number or date of manufacture on them.

davis2

Threads
I imagine they are already 11 years old (the cutter is from 2010), as they all have micro cracks on the sides, and at the rear there is a small leak that wilts in 3 or 4 days.
Taking him to a tire shop, he found that there were no holes or leaks through the valve ... but the air escapes through some of the micro cracks and the solution is to place air chambers.
When reading the measurements I noticed that the rear ones are Carlisle (20x8.00-8) and the front ones are from Oregon (15x6.00-6) Unlike automotive measurements, these have measurements in the format AAxB, B-C, all in inches.
B, BB = tire width.

In Oregon, all measurements are correct with the inscription, but the Carlisle diameter of 2 inches is missing !!!!

11 years old? there was likely some wear, eh?

Bange

Threads
The model is a "Turf Saver".
Based on the pictures of a new tire, my tire doesn't look too worn.
Note that to reach 20 inches in diameter on a new tire, the grooves must be approximately 1 inch ... is that correct?
Is this tire for snow, mud or grass?
The question is, how deep is the groove in a new Turf Saver tire?

richard.nott

Forum Newbie
Threads
B, BB = tire width.

if you look at a car or light truck tire serial number it's usually the last for digits of the serial number will tell you the time it was cured. example: 5219 this would have been the last week of of 2019. i worked on tire curing presses for a few years that's the way they did it car and light trucks were changed every sunday semi agriculture and off road tires had there own serial number.