Question about adding left/right brake to axle..

shibby

Threads
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about starting a lawn tractor project with your basic hydrostatic auto transaxle, like the ones that come on most lawn tractors. My question is, if I mounted brake discs with calipers on each side of the axle, would I be able to lock each side independently for tighter turning? To be honest, I'm not even sure exactly how those transaxles work. lol Would I be able to lock just one side so all the power goes to the opposite side? I know they're not 'locked,', so in theory I think it would work, right? Any help or guidance is appreciated, thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It will not be the easiest system to design.

I would check out the Husqvarna built Craftsman mowers as they are using NZTR steering system which is also as close to ZTR steering as you can get without severely sliding tires. Even tractors that do have independent rear wheel locking brakes slide the front tires when turning using the brakes or at least mine does which fine in loose dirt but not on harder surfaces.

On top of that JD done make a ZTR called a Spin Steer using a single hydrostatic transaxle with swivel casters. A pain to use on slopes.

NZTR = Near Zero Turn Rider
ZTR = Zero Turn Rider

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would it work in theory ? Yes. Will it work in real life like you want? Probably not. Locking one wheel on a differential puts a big load on the gears. Real tractor diffs are built for that. How strong of a transaxle do you plan to use? Like Star said, Unless you put caster wheels on the front plan on dragging the front wheels sideways everytime you lock a wheel. Also plan on the locked wheel tearing up the turf every turn. You won't be able to do a pivot turn like a ZTR. I have a small tractor, IH184 with differential brakes. I can lock one brake in a turn and it does turn much sharper at the expense of the turf.

shibby

Threads
Thanks for the info guys!

Here's the thing. I want to make a good snow pusher. My sister lives alone, so the plan was to make something out of a lawn tractor so she can plow her big driveway. Now, my thinking was, to basically modify an existing lawn tractor so it kind of becomes a skid-steer. An addition to adding the brakes on each side of the axle, I was also thinking of adding two sprockets to those axles, and running a chain up to the front wheels to have "4WD." The front axles would just be solidly mounted (no steering), independently of each other. So they're all being 'driven', but when you brake one side, both the front and rear wheels on one side stop, making it turn. Of course I'd add some weight, and some aggressive ATV mud tires. I plow my driveway with a 4WD ATV, and it's literally unstoppable.

Now, I know there's probably a lot of other easier options, like using an 4WD ATV, using a 2wd tractor with chains and weights, etc. But my thinking here is that lawn tractors are a dime a dozen, and so are the transaxles. When people blow the motors, they basically give them away. So the build would be very cheap, and if/when a motor or transaxle blows up in it, it's cheap/easy to just drop another in. Simplicity is what I'm after which is why I like the hydrostatic automatic. She just has to start it up, and use a pedal for forward, and a pedal for reverse. No gear shifting, etc. Very simple. Maybe build a cab on it and add heat?

So, it tearing up the lawn isn't an issue, since it really would only be used for plowing a driveway in the winter. I'm thinking with all the wheels moving with good snow/mud tires on it, and some weight, it'll plow pretty damn good. I'm thinking there wouldn't be too much stress on the transaxle since it'll still be slipping somewhat in the snow, and it'll only be used 3-5 times a year.

Of course I love making things too, so there's that. :D

What ya think? Stupid idea? lol

Last edited:

sugartooth

Threads
Thanks for the info guys!

Here's the thing. I want to make a good snow pusher. My sister lives alone, so the plan was to make something out of a lawn tractor so she can plow her big driveway. Now, my thinking was, to basically modify an existing lawn tractor so it kind of becomes a skid-steer. An addition to adding the brakes on each side of the axle, I was also thinking of adding two sprockets to those axles, and running a chain up to the front wheels to have "4WD." The front axles would just be solidly mounted (no steering), independently of each other. So they're all being 'driven', but when you brake one side, both the front and rear wheels on one side stop, making it turn. Of course I'd add some weight, and some aggressive ATV mud tires. I plow my driveway with a 4WD ATV, and it's literally unstoppable.

Now, I know there's probably a lot of other easier options, like using an 4WD ATV, using a 2wd tractor with chains and weights, etc. But my thinking here is that lawn tractors are a dime a dozen, and so are the transaxles. When people blow the motors, they basically give them away. So the build would be very cheap, and if/when a motor or transaxle blows up in it, it's cheap/easy to just drop another in. Simplicity is what I'm after which is why I like the hydrostatic automatic. She just has to start it up, and use a pedal for forward, and a pedal for reverse. No gear shifting, etc. Very simple. Maybe build a cab on it and add heat?

So, it tearing up the lawn isn't an issue, since it really would only be used for plowing a driveway in the winter. I'm thinking with all the wheels moving with good snow/mud tires on it, and some weight, it'll plow pretty damn good. I'm thinking there wouldn't be too much stress on the transaxle since it'll still be slipping somewhat in the snow, and it'll only be used 3-5 times a year.

Of course I love making things too, so there's that. :D

What ya think? Stupid idea? lol