Quest hydrostatic drive belt cross reference?

tonykarter

Threads
At least It waited to break until after I got the front yard done. Reichsfuhrer Robin just would not have understood had it broken sooner. So it's 1pm Saturday and all the Exmark dealers are closed. Does anyone know what the Gates or Dayco number cross-reference is for the hydrostatic drive belt? Model QST22BE482 Serial number 886860 48-inch deck. THANKS!

Mower King

Threads
At least It waited to break until after I got the front yard done. Reichsfuhrer Robin just would not have understood had it broken sooner. So it's 1pm Saturday and all the Exmark dealers are closed. Does anyone know what the Gates or Dayco number cross-reference is for the hydrostatic drive belt? Model QST22BE482 Serial number 886860 48-inch deck. THANKS!
You better wait and get an O.E.M. belt....it will pay off in the long run! So tonykarter.....are you a kart racer?

tonykarter

Threads
Was a kart racer. Was a kart...participant more than a racer. Still got it. Sits out there in the shop. Yeah, the only belt I can find today IS an Exmark, but it is 60 miles away and $35.xx. Was hoping to find a cross reference and buy two for that price.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You could buy 2 cheaper, but I doubt they will last as long. I second going OEM as your labor having to do it twice does cost you time when You have to replace it sooner. Penny wise pound foolish.

Mower King

Threads
Was a kart racer. Was a kart...participant more than a racer. Still got it. Sits out there in the shop. Yeah, the only belt I can find today IS an Exmark, but it is 60 miles away and $35.xx. Was hoping to find a cross reference and buy two for that price.
I see.... put that thing back on the track, no time better than the present!
I still say get OEM, it might outlast those other 2 cheapies

Mower King

Threads
You could buy 2 cheaper, but I doubt they will last as long. I second going OEM as your labor having to do it twice does cost you time when You have to replace it sooner. Penny wise pound foolish.
"penny wise pound foolish" ..... nice, I like that!

tonykarter

Threads
Sounds like the OEM route is the way to go. Educate me please: Is the Exmark belt built tougher than your premium Gates V belt?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gates are universal belts which can fit multiple applications. You never know if the belt length, angle and material match OEM.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will be the odd man out here.
If you select a Gates belt from their interchange application you will get a belt of equivalent or better quality than the original.
Gates make a specific range for mowers and another range for general outdoor equipment.
A lot of the belts I get from my aftermarket suppiiers are Gates belts.
The trouble is to do this you need the Exmark part number and to prevent you from doing this the Exmark parts look up does not list the part number for the belt "contact your local dealer "
However the new Gates look up site lists it as a 6780BR Blade Runner belt
Note it is not a standard 40 deg A section belt it is 39 deg V angle and wider at the top ( 14mm )
The down side is you are unlikely to find one at your friendly Gates belt dealer as different businesses carry different ranges of belts and it will most likely need to be ordered in for you.
The Stens catalogue lists 265-163 as a replacement , although they show it 75.5" where as Gates show it as 75.22".
However you should be able to get a Stens belt from a mower repair shop , I have 2 in stock here but postage from Aust might be a while :) .
When you are in there check the plastic idlers as they wear and the flanges get busted up which chops up the belt over time
Worthwhile keeping a pair of them in the shed

Last edited:

tonykarter

Threads
Excellent info! THANKS! Yes, I have a good opinion of of Gates as well. Sold all kinds of Gates belts back in the day when I worked for Motion Industries. I wish I knew the pitch diameter of the OEM belt. That would be the keys to the kingdom. Do you think Exmark has their sheaves spec'd as 39 degrees too just to keep things nice and proprietary?