Putting throttle control on a Honda engine

Just Don

Threads
I took a vertical shaft Honda engine off of a power washer. I want to put it on top of a lower end of a boat motor.
My question is what do I need to do to put a throttle controller to operate the speed?
The honda has an automatic choke and won't rev up till you start spraying so I need to put a throttle on it too.
I haven't studied it enough just hoping to get suggestions.
Putting the motor on the lower end was easy, even for me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a good idea and it will end up in tears
You need a different style of engine
Governed engines will not work very well in places that need an ungoverned engine
And because the engines are governed the internals are only made to take the sorts of stresses that come from the mower being used .
Most will toss the little end if the engine sees anything over 5000 rpm.
While there were a lot of cheap outboards that used mower engines, most of them used 2 stroke engines which have steel con rods with roller bearings both ends .

Bertrrr

Threads
Never ran across an engine with no governor but guess it's possible, I've swapped engines over a few times and had to install a throttle cable for some for one reason or another and didn't have any issues

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rather than a constant speed Gov. it would need a Limiting speed Gov. and hand throttle , that is if you don't want the rod out the side .

Just Don

Threads
Rather than a constant speed Gov. it would need a Limiting speed Gov. and hand throttle , that is if you don't want the rod out the side .
Thanks so much, I learn so much from ppl on forums.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never ran across an engine with no governor but guess it's possible, I've swapped engines over a few times and had to install a throttle cable for some for one reason or another and didn't have any issues
The engine is going into an outboard for a boat, not a lawnmower
Outboards need dynamic throttle , not a governed throttle .
Before regulated blade tip speeds mowers had a dynamic throttle controls with no governor variable jetting and a lot used slide carbs.
These engines were often used for small low power outboards with 4" props.
There were at least a dozen brands down here.
No good in open waters because there was just not enough power to beat currents and in some cases, they were hard put running against the tide

Just Don

Threads
Not a good idea and it will end up in tears
You need a different style of engine
Governed engines will not work very well in places that need an ungoverned engine
And because the engines are governed the internals are only made to take the sorts of stresses that come from the mower being used .
Most will toss the little end if the engine sees anything over 5000 rpm.
While there were a lot of cheap outboards that used mower engines, most of them used 2 stroke engines which have steel con rods with roller bearings both ends .
I do see what you saying and it does seem like the little engines won't last long doing that.

Just Don

Threads
The engine is going into an outboard for a boat, not a lawnmower
Outboards need dynamic throttle , not a governed throttle .
Before regulated blade tip speeds mowers had a dynamic throttle controls with no governor variable jetting and a lot used slide carbs.
These engines were often used for small low power outboards with 4" props.
There were at least a dozen brands down here.
No good in open waters because there was just not enough power to beat currents and in some cases, they were hard put running against the tide
I was asking about how to "bypass an automatic governor".
Using a lawn engine on a lower end has been done.
I have a honda mower off of a power washer good engine with an automatic governor.
I don't want to break speed records I just want to get to my fishing hole.
I can work on a lawnmower engine I don't want to work on an outboard motor.
With what I built for the lower engine I can change the motors out in 30 minutes.
My lower end is from a 3.5 hp chrysler so not a problem and small enough I can remove it from my boat to store it.

Just Don

Threads
Thanks for the info and why knots. I do agree this engine shouldn't be used for this purpose.