Push mower revving too high

Little John

Threads
Hi all - first a little background. I picked up an 18" Cub Cadet push mower when I first moved into my house in 2007. It's done good, I treated it well, we got along fine. Then it started to leak, so I replaced the gasket and I think in doing so I knocked something out-of-whack. So now the mower is revving at crazy high speeds - to the point of stalling itself. The model number is 11A-18MC056, and the engine is an MTD something-or-other. Any thoughts on what I need to do to make it normal again? Thanks -LJ

Little John

Threads
Additional info:
It's seems connected to the governor. When I pull the top linkage away from the carb, it revs down, almost as if the governor spring on the bottom of the linkage isn't strong enough, but the spring appears undamaged, as does the rest of everything.

Last edited:

benski

Threads
Is there a bendable tab that holds one end of the spring?

SanAntonioJoe

Threads
If you can find a long circular spring with one end attached to the carb linkage, follow the spring down to where it is mounted. Lots of them now are just attached to a stamped steel tab that you can bend and adjust with a pair of needle-nose or regular pliers. If it is an older engine, like a Briggs, it may be attached to a long tab mounted to the governor. If it is mounted to the governor with a small screw, you can adjust the setting when the engine is off.