Push mower drive pulley speed change?

tkos115

Threads
I was wondering if there is a different drive pulley that can be put on a walk behind mower to change the speed of it. Currently it is a bit fast for my elderly neighbor to use as they have trouble keeping up sometimes. I thought I saw something awhile back about being able to change the pulley from say a 3.5mph rated one to a 3 or 2.5mph pulley. (Or something like that). Currently I believe it has a 25mm diameter pulley but I'm not sure if there is one that I can use to slow it down a bit? I did try changing the engine speed a little but it's apparently still a bit fast and I don't think it would cut good if it went too much slower with the RPM.

Mower Model Number: 917.370412
Current part number for pulley: 581473301

Thanks for your time and help!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would hire a lawn crew. Much cheaper than paying for a hip replacement and some broken bones. Have you priced an ER visit lately?

Get a Toro with the Personal Pace system. Push the bar to match your walking speed.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Even if their is a smaller pulley there is a finite diameter that the belt can turn around without slipping.
So you are better off putting a larger pulley on the gearbox than a smaller pulley on the engine.
A slightly longer belt will slip a bit so go a little slower but of course you will go through a new belt every couple of seasons.
A variable speed mower is a much better idea, then adjust the bail so when fully back to the bar it is only running 1/2 speed.
Keep on mowing.
As one gets older it is definately a use it or loose it situation .
OTOH get him to try taking longer strides being dragged by the mower.
As we get older we tend to take shorter strides which do not challenge out leg muscles enough so they get smaller and our stride gets even more shorter.
Shorter strides = more wear on a smaller section of our joints, particularly the hip joint & knee joints.
If you are a good friend & neighbour then start doing a flexibility exercise with him every morning like Tia Chi .
A few minutes every morning can add years of mobility to both of your lives .
Lots of "teach yourself" type videos out there.
One person by themselves normally does not work for anyone other than the distributors of the video but 2 or more people does .

Cusser

Threads
I was wondering if there is a different drive pulley that can be put on a walk behind mower to change the speed of it. Currently it is a bit fast for my elderly neighbor to use as they have trouble keeping up sometimes.
Do neighbor a favor, cut the lawn for him !!!

tkos115

Threads
I have been cutting it for him but he likes to do it on it own and will usually try to mow it before I get home from work or when I'm not around. I thought about trying a personal pace mower but I haven't found one at a price point he likes, or someone willing to do a trade. I guess I'll keep my eyes out for something in the meantime until he lets me just take care of his lawn full time.

Thanks for the input

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro Recyclers are cheap and common here in OKC. Good second hand units from 60-200 bucks. Most are under 100 bucks. Have bags with them too. Try facebook marketplace in your area. I hate facebook but can't ignore that marketplace. Much more items than craigsllist.

slomo