Pulsing GCV160 w/ video - help pls

benga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, picked up this mower which I believe is a TB 120 for $40 so figured it'd be a good learning experience for me on small engines. I'm a little stumped though on why my mower is still pulsing after doing a carb clean and replacing the long jet, not the one that screws in place.

It pulses immediately after turning on. It had some bad fuel which I replaced and the oil. I disassembled and cleaned the carb completely. I just can't figure out what is causing it to bounce so much.You can see the governor pulsing in the video.

Convert

Threads
I had the same issue with my GCV160, turns out the governor spring was in the wrong hole location.
Or the governor are has changed position on the governor arm shaft.

CONVERT
TOMB

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You're running lean.
Look up a video on YouTube called "How to clean Honda style carbs" by Steve's small engine saloon . Great info

benga

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same issue with my GCV160, turns out the governor spring was in the wrong hole location.
Or the governor are has changed position on the governor arm shaft.

CONVERT
TOMB

I thought that might be it after reading your post and so i replaced it but no luck. I guess ill try replacing the main jet that screws in there.

You're running lean.
Look up a video on YouTube called "How to clean Honda style carbs" by Steve's small engine saloon . Great info

I've cleaned this thing all i can, soaked scrubbed, sprayed etc. I think im just going to try replacing the main jet that screws in there.

Mower King

Threads
I thought that might be it after reading your post and so i replaced it but no luck. I guess ill try replacing the main jet that screws in there.

I've cleaned this thing all i can, soaked scrubbed, sprayed etc. I think im just going to try replacing the main jet that screws in there.
Main jets DON"T GO BAD...they get plugged up....there is a lot more to cleaning a carb, putting it back together, with all the right gaskets aligned, than most people think! There is cleaning a carb then there is CLEANING a carb.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
did you watch Steve's video? @benga
also, are the carburetor and intake gaskets in good condition?

benga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Main jets DON"T GO BAD...they get plugged up....there is a lot more to cleaning a carb, putting it back together, with all the right gaskets aligned, than most people think! There is cleaning a carb then there is CLEANING a carb.

I figured but I also figured if my cleaning wasn't good enough then I should just replace that part but clearly it's more than just that part. I think it'll be better if i just replace the carb rather than hunt for the part that's acting up. This carb is definitely one of the simpler carbs without the idle tune screw or any fancy features that i'm seeing on most carbs online.

did you watch Steve's video? @benga
also, are the carburetor and intake gaskets in good condition?

Yep though his carb was a little different and more complex than mine.I think i'm going to just replace my carb but i'm having trouble finding an exact replacement. Any chance you or someone could recommend me a carb?

My engine serial is: GJARA 2780104 S3A

Mower King

Threads
I figured but I also figured if my cleaning wasn't good enough then I should just replace that part but clearly it's more than just that part. I think it'll be better if i just replace the carb rather than hunt for the part that's acting up. This carb is definitely one of the simpler carbs without the idle tune screw or any fancy features that i'm seeing on most carbs online.

Yep though his carb was a little different and more complex than mine.I think i'm going to just replace my carb but i'm having trouble finding an exact replacement. Any chance you or someone could recommend me a carb?

My engine serial is: GJARA 2780104 S3A
OEM carbs always seem to work the best...right out of the box!

benga

Forum Newbie
Threads
OEM carbs always seem to work the best...right out of the box!

Any idea if there's supposed to be a metal gasket when mounting the carb to the engine? I'm seeing it on a lot of other mowers but it doesn't look like mine has one.

Mower King

Threads
Any idea if there's supposed to be a metal gasket when mounting the carb to the engine? I'm seeing it on a lot of other mowers but it doesn't look like mine has one.
I can't say I've ever seen a metal "gasket" for a carburetor, a metal exhaust gasket ,yes. I have seen a metal heat shield in between the carb, carb gaskets and the engine though.....maybe that is what you're seeing! And if yours never had it to begin with, don't worry about it!