Pto

Ralf58 us

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bolens 5018h runs fine until I turn on the pto then it dies. Coil reads around 3.5 ohms. Bought a new one reads the same. I'm puzzled.?? Ralf

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it do the same thing when you release the clutch/brake. I am thinking more of a safety switch issue normally the seat switch thinking nobody is in the seat so the safety system shuts down the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dies as in stops dead as if you had turned the key off
Or
Stumbles & dies like it is running out of fuel ?

Ralf58 us

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it do the same thing when you release the clutch/brake. I am thinking more of a safety switch issue normally the seat switch thinking nobody is in the seat so the safety system shuts down the engine.
Good point, I did some more tests.
Safety switch in seat permanently engaged so that's not an issue. Brake is locked to start. Engine starts runs fine with or without brake. I found out even when PTO not hooked up electrically, engine STILL shuts off when PTO switch is turned on. When engine not running with ignition key ON ,pto hooked up electrically it engages! and shows 12.86 volts.
??? But shuts engine off electrically when running, so it seems.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Disconnect the seat switch, remove the jumper, or the seat switch itself is defective. You are shorting the magneto because of the bypassed seat switch.
Bolens 5018H Schematic.JPG

Ralf58 us

Forum Newbie
Threads
Disconnect the seat switch, remove the jumper, or the seat switch itself is defective. You are shorting the magneto because of the bypassed seat switch.
View attachment 54125
You where correct!! I thought the seat switch connects the power,it does just the opposite. Tractor and PTO are now working properly. Thanks so much Star Tech.???