PTO Won't engage

foamer01

Threads
Please be patient and bear with me. Some of the term ology I use probably isn't 100% I NEED HELP!!! So first off 616 B&S. 2- While cutting PTO/aka electric clutch quit. 3- Battery was bad when tested under load and I replaced hoping this would help clutch engage.4-didn't solve the PTO not engaging. 5-Tested the resistance of the clutch it was 3.5 and I believe it should be between 2-4, additionally went direct with power to clutch and magnets sounded kike they engaged with no issue. 6 Tested PTO switch. top row to bottom row with switch in the off position each with tone, tested with PTO on top row with middle row each with tone. Seems that that tested out correctly. Upon further inspection we came up with a wire that we can't find a home for. Attached is a picture. Any ideas, I know this is a shot in the dark/needle in a hay stack...Oh btw the wire in question is a single wire and brown in color. Any other ideas or testing that I may have missed. Thanks for reading about my problem.

Attachments

• grasshopper1.jpg
    grasshopper1.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 16
  • grasshopper2.jpg
    grasshopper2.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 16

ran

Threads
Please be patient and bear with me. Some of the term ology I use probably isn't 100% I NEED HELP!!! So first off 616 B&S. 2- While cutting PTO/aka electric clutch quit. 3- Battery was bad when tested under load and I replaced hoping this would help clutch engage.4-didn't solve the PTO not engaging. 5-Tested the resistance of the clutch it was 3.5 and I believe it should be between 2-4, additionally went direct with power to clutch and magnets sounded kike they engaged with no issue. 6 Tested PTO switch. top row to bottom row with switch in the off position each with tone, tested with PTO on top row with middle row each with tone. Seems that that tested out correctly. Upon further inspection we came up with a wire that we can't find a home for. Attached is a picture. Any ideas, I know this is a shot in the dark/needle in a hay stack...Oh btw the wire in question is a single wire and brown in color. Any other ideas or testing that I may have missed. Thanks for reading about my problem.
Do you have the out front deck with electric lift?

ran

Threads
Yes, electric powerfold deck.
Make sure where the lift switch is that box you lift up on to raise the deck make sure its all the way down. Mine some how bounced up one time and that will not let the pto kick on I had a heck of time figuring that one out.

foamer01

Threads
Make sure where the lift switch is that box you lift up on to raise the deck make sure its all the way down. Mine some how bounced up one time and that will not let the pto kick on I had a heck of time figuring that one out.
Great advice!! That's exactly was the issue. Thanks!!

DennisH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had same problem here, searched for a couple of hours before I found out the issue.

maggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a 618 when i put mine down pto kicks out have to pull out a little pto kicks in