PTO pillow block bearing replacement?

Rickw

Threads
Is it as easy as unbolting front and back bearings and dropping shaft? Do bearings just slide off the spline end of shaft? I did a searrch on the forum and could not find much on this.
Thanks for any advice!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It probably would help if you post a photo of your pillow block shaft.

Rickw

Threads
It probably would help if you post a photo of your pillow block shaft.
It is the 2 pillow block bearings that support the PTO shaft on the 600-700 series front deck Grasshoppers. Sorry for not clarifying:):)

Rickw

Threads
Does anybody know if these bearings are pressed on to the shaft? I cant see anything that keeps the shaft from sliding back and forth as it is running? Like set screw or collar ect?

gsim

Threads
I have similar config on my 2011 930D2 Hopper. Front mount deck, PTO shaft supported by two pillow block bearing assemblies. Not sure what keeps shaft in place, but might just be at the very tail end where it terminates in sheave. I looked in my op manual, and I could not see enough detail on drawing to be able to tell for sure. Look at sheave and see if it has set screws. Ought to be one directly over where square key is, and another one 90 degrees around from that. Doesn't seem like that would secure it both directions tho. Better solution might be a shear pin locking front of shaft into front U-joint assembly, locking shaft into the spline. Front U-joint is fastened im smilar fashoin to gear box, which would secure shaft both directions. If neither, may indeed be press fit bearings. Would need to clean shaft ends first, to remove any rust, then use some heat to expand bearing assembly and hammer to drive off .

Rickw

Threads
We got them changed. Left rear pulley on and slid both bearing off over the splines. I used a piece of chain link fence top rail to drive rear bearing back down the shaft. that way I was pushing on inner part of bearing and not damaging bearing

gsim

Threads
So bearing bore and fit keep the PTO shart in place? Good to know. Thank you. For easier time of it, should you ever have to do another one, place PTO shaft in freezer, lay bearings out in sunshine. Make some coffee or have a cold one. Time you are finished, all is ready to be easily slipped into original place. BE SURE SHAFT IF MARKED SO YOU GET THEM AS CLOSE TO ORIGINAL POSITION AS POSSIBLE. When they reach equal temperatures, they will be firmly located. I've used that technique for decades doing car or eapt mtc until I finally bought a bearing press. :LOL:

keakar

Threads
Is it as easy as unbolting front and back bearings and dropping shaft? Do bearings just slide off the spline end of shaft? I did a searrch on the forum and could not find much on this.
Thanks for any advice!
its never ever that easy