PTO not engaging

garybo

Forum Newbie
Threads
For no obvious reason the PTO button will not engage the blades. I’m sure there is power going to and coming from the switch because when the engine is shut down and the pto switch is engaged (pulled up) the engine will not start, when I push the button back down the engine fires up perfectly.

I checked the fuse under the seat and it is OK, all belts are on and either new or newish. Just day I had it out for a while and all was working well. I see no wire pulled loose or limbs stuck under it somewhere, all looks well.

Any suggestions before I attempt to remove the shroud that is housing the switch ?

The machine is a Z737

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your test is not worth doing as the cranking circuit has nothing whatsoever to do with the PTO circuit.
Sit in the seat, turn the key on & pull the PTO switch.
If you don't hear the PTO clutch go Klunk then either the PTO switch, the seat switch ( and it's relay where fitted ) the wiring between them or the clutch itself is cactus .

At this point in time I can not suggest getting a copy of the JD technical manual for your mower strongly enough.
Firstly they have a Theory Of Operation chapter at the beginning of each section so you know HOW the mower works
Then the testing sections are very comprehensive so a person who has trouble working out which end of a screwdriver to use can sail through the difficult job like a factory trained engineer.
And they go to the effort of showing you where every part is on the mower, including all of the wiring plugs.
Worth 10 x what they ask for it and will pay for itself the first time you don't have to take the mower to a workshop.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Checking the fuse won't do any good as the Z737 uses a fusible link at the starter for the PTO clutch. You need to check for voltages at the PTO switch, PTO relay, and the PTO clutch itself with switch pull to operate the PTO clutch. Also note ignition switch (keyswitch) must be on.
JD 737 PTO.pngJD 737 Control panel.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is the seat switch / relay not in the PTO circuit ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Seat switch only powers the fuel solenoid, the magneto stop relay, and provides 12 vdc for the voltage regulator as Kawasaki voltage regulator needs this feedback line. The seat switch is not in play when the brake is engaged as it provides the 12v for the fuel solenoid, magneto stop relay, and the voltage regulator. The 460 yellow wire is a switch circuit by the keyswitch through the 20A fuse

garybo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everybody, thanks very much for your reply and suggestions. Today I will take note to your advise and hopefully can at least get a grasp what the problem is and whereas what can be done.

Again, thanks for all and I'll be sure to get back with progress.

garybo

garybo

Forum Newbie
Threads
bertsmobile1 and StarTech, thank you very much for assisting me with getting my mower up and running again.
I bought the tech manual for that machine and if for no reason, it gave me the insight on how to correctly maintain the beast.
The reason for the pto not engaging was a "ripped" or broken wire within the wiring harness of the clutch. It took several hours, starting from the start switch to safety related switches and buttons to finally the clutch and then finding and making a 10 minute fix. Apparently, I drove over a limb or something while cleaning up limbs and stuff from the yard due to winter abuse.

Thanks again guys, garybo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you are having a lazy beer on the back porch, read the entire manual .
Do it a couple of times then you will be an expert and be telling others here how to fix their mowers.
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the closure it is good when people come back & close out a thread.
Happy mowing, looks like a busy season coming up.