PTO blowing fuses after a fire

KyGolfer

Threads
I have a SMWC-61A Wildcat. 2 weeks ago, a drive belt tore off and started a small fire. It melted the quick connection that comes from the harness to the Electric PTO below the engine. I had to cut the connection off and rewire. Needed more length of wire, so I coupled a small piece to it. This seemed to work ok after trying the PTO switch 3 times and having the blades engage. After just adding electrical tape to the connections, the thing is blowing 20A fuses again. Removed tape, reconnected all the wires again. Now, it just keeps blowing fuses and kills the motor. Could something have happened to the electric PTO after engaging fine 3 times? Switch? Is there a way I can test the PTO to see if is bad? Thanks for any advice . You all have been a big help before.

Attachments

• scag #5.JPG
    scag #5.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 14
  • scag #6.JPG
    scag #6.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 14
  • scag #7.JPG
    scag #7.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 12

gainestruk

Threads
Check the wiring very closely, it sounds like you have a wire grounding out, I know you probably have but take a deep breath and start all over it will be obvious when you find it.

gainestruk

Threads
I have a SMWC-61A Wildcat. 2 weeks ago, a drive belt tore off and started a small fire. It melted the quick connection that comes from the harness to the Electric PTO below the engine. I had to cut the connection off and rewire. Needed more length of wire, so I coupled a small piece to it. This seemed to work ok after trying the PTO switch 3 times and having the blades engage. After just adding electrical tape to the connections, the thing is blowing 20A fuses again. Removed tape, reconnected all the wires again. Now, it just keeps blowing fuses and kills the motor. Could something have happened to the electric PTO after engaging fine 3 times? Switch? Is there a way I can test the PTO to see if is bad? Thanks for any advice . You all have been a big help before.
Check the top left blue wire nut, I can't tell if that's writing or wire sticking out of the bottom of it, if wire that's most likely where it's shorting.

KyGolfer

Threads
You have a good eye Gainestuk! I went out at 10:00 am to change the connections. I got rid of the small extra piece, and used plug in type connections. I had barely enough wire doing this, but HAPPY to say it worked. I really tried getting my paws down there to get tape all the way down that neck. I checked continuity before doing all this, and it was good. I also checked and was getting anywhere from 2.5 to 4.0 ohms. Just could not get a real stable reading though. I actually went and got my wife just to prove that it was working and me not hallucinating again. So, Thanks for chiming in Gainestruk. You were right on the money as far as your assessment. You rock!

gainestruk

Threads
Glad I was able to help, sometimes it just takes a second set of eyes ?