Problems with the cutting deck

Bange

Threads
After completing 50 hours of use, I did the first preventive maintenance on my Murray 18.5 HP... (change of oil, filter, grease, valve gap readjustment, blade sharpening, inspection of several other items, etc.. .).
I spent some time analyzing my cutting deck, since I bought it (it's used, I'm the 3rd owner), it has three problems:
1 - difficulty adjusting the height.
2 - strong oscillation of the belt tension pulley.
3 - belt tension variation according to height level.
I have already identified other problems before and solved or alleviated them... this deck appears to be of a different age than the rest, as its condition is very good for the age of the tractor (2010) and also considering normal wear parts such as screws and holes in parts that move on the support (links, arms, etc...).
Another detail is the large amount of differences between the parts list manual and the reality of the deck... in short, it looks like an adapted deck... and poorly adapted... but it's what I have and I'll try to put it in the best possible way, with your help.

What has already been done for 1:
Regarding the height adjustment, I identified that the suspension arms, despite having the same number stamped (195186 - Husqvarna), have different lengths, which made the deck twist according to the selected level.
Solution: I created another support point on the deck and matched the arms to the smaller one, in addition to changing the connection point of the Link Lift Susp Mower Rear (91 in the diagram) to match the right side (only then were they aligned).
I cut the Link Asm Lift FXD (101), welded a long screw and made a piece similar to 91... getting the same height adjustment condition.
Now bring it down without twisting.

As for items 2 and 3, I have already tried several configurations and could not resolve them, as they are combined, that is, at level 1, the blades take a long time to turn and it is perceived that they do not have speed, but the tensioner pulley does not oscillate... As the deck level increases, the belt stretches, starts and increases oscillation.
I'm already thinking of a drastic solution, which is to put a coupling cable (which is fixed on my deck) like a bicycle brake adjustment...

Detalhe da elevação do deck.jpg

I researched many decks on the internet and the one that comes closest is what appears in the following video... including the entry for the blade coupling cable... however the support arms are different...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stop and have a little think
The pulleys on the deck rise & fall with the deck
The engine pulley stays at the same height regardless of the deck position
So the belt run will be the hypotinuse of a triangle with the horizontal distance between the engine & deck pulley as the X base line and the difference in height being the Y value so it will change as you change the cutting height.
The last mower I saw that had a system to counter this was a Simplicity from around 1980 and it took well over an hour to change the belt .
Most mowers have the belt pulleys in line on the middle cutting height
As you have not provided model numbers or photos there is little more than we can do for you.
Pull the tesion arm off and check that the pivot hole is stll round & not egged out
Similar story with the pivot bolt bush they wear slots over time because people are too bone lazy to blow down decks and lube the pivots

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
So the belt run will be the hypotinuse of a triangle with the horizontal distance between the engine & deck pulley as the X base line and the difference in height being the Y value so it will change as you change the cutting height.
The last mower I saw that had a system to counter this was a Simplicity from around 1980 and it took well over an hour to change the belt .
As you have not provided model numbers or photos there is little more than we can do for you.
Pull the tesion arm off and check that the pivot hole is stll round & not egged out
Similar story with the pivot bolt bush they wear slots over time because people are too bone lazy to blow down decks and lube the pivots
The reality on inexpensive mower decks is sometimes this: not ideal belt tension, sloppy action with tensioner pulley, and not able to hold up well to continuous abuse from getting hit, etc.

Bange

Threads
Yes, I understand that the movement of the deck makes an arc in relation to the driving pulley and this can affect the belt tension a little... but in my case this variation is very large and changes not only the belt tension but also the oscillation of the tensioner pulley.
If I make an adjustment for each of the 7 levels of the deck, the problem is solved... but it's not correct.
Pictures follow...
Only existing numbers on the suspension arms
m_20230506_185031.jpgm_20230506_184901.jpg
Upper view
m_20230507_114840.jpgm_20230507_114908.jpg
Tensioner support repairs
m_20230509_112712.jpgm_20230509_112743.jpg

Part made for adjustment right side
m_20230510_112136.jpg

Suspension arm connection replacement and lift link
m_20230510_112240(1).jpg

Ops! My mower is Murray 42L18G60X8A

Last edited:

Bange

Threads
Belt data that came on the deck when I bought it

Perfil da correia A-93.jpg
It's correct?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That lift are was used by Murray from 2009 through to 2012 which is just after B & S took over Murray as they went bust .

They should be the same length and locate onto pegs in the frame that are directly opposite to each other .
I will guess that one broke so they drilled a new hole and moved the pin .
The deck engagement & pulleys appear to be from a Husqvarna LT or LTH, not a Murray one
Try moving the tension spring further forward
The belt ossillates because there is a not enough tension on it .
And of course if the deck is a lash up job the original belt is unlikley to be the correct length

Last edited:

Bange

Threads
Really I conclude that there was a very poorly done adaptation.
When looking for new decks to buy, neither from the original importer (Trapp) does not exist.
Yes, it appears, but from Husqvrna... and I saw answers from the seller saying that people buy Husqvarna and adapt it to Murray.
But I disagree about the belt pressure, because:
Level 1 - Skate until you gain speed (low belt pressure)
Level 2 - Skates a little, but takes a while to gain speed.
Level 3 - Almost immediate departure
Level 4 - You don't notice skating, almost immediate speed (good belt pressure)
Level 5 - Immediate start and little pulley oscillation.
Level 6 - Immediate start and oscillation increases
Level 7 - Immediate starting and large pulley oscillation (too much belt pressure).
In my case there is no adjustment point for the belt tension cable...and if there was, the adjustment would be fine for the hitch, but wobble would occur anyway.
Interestingly, I removed the arms (19) and the operation improved a little, but without them there is lateral play of the deck, which I don't think is good or correct.
Another observation is that the distance from the points where the arms are fixed to the deck are too wide, because depending on the adjustment made (91), the deck hits the bottom (37).

Is this photo analysis correct?
m_20230507_114908(2).jpg

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And there can bearings beginning to fail causing the belt flopping.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have come here for an arguement then you can do it with some one else.
You wanted a solution & you got one
If you are unwilling to accept what you have been told by a person who has probably rebuilt better that 100 decks ofer the past 11 years then I can nt be of any more assistance to you.
So good luck with yur fraken mower
I wish you well but there are others who actually want help.
Not another word from me .

Bange

Threads
No... no discussion... it really helps...
My english is from google...
I just disagreed when you said that "The belt ossillates because there is a not enough tension on it".
I described to you the practice of my case, which is exactly the opposite, that is, greater tension, greater oscillation.