Problems Starting Honda HRR216VKA Mower Unless Starting Fluid is Used

heldmacm

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Problems Starting Honda HRR216VKA Mower Unless Starting Fluid is Used
Hello,

I have a Honda HRR216VKA lawn mower, which I bought in May 2013. I really haven't had any problems with it until recently; currently, it will not start unless I spray starter fluid through the hole behind the air filter (presumably into the carburetor). Prior to trying starter fluid, I'd read on a forum that some mowers will start if turned on their side (i.e. two wheels in the air). This worked for awhile (I turned it to the right so the air filter was on top, of course), but that's ceased to work. Obviously, I know these are very short-term solutions, and I'd like to find out what's wrong with it so it can be fixed. Below are the things I've tried/checked:

• Replaced the air filter
  • Check the spark plug gap
  • Changed and checked the oil
  • Cleaned under the mower deck, as well as removed the grass where the mulching plug is

The gas in the mower is probably four to five weeks old, so I suppose that could be the problem (or at least a problem). We generally used in a shorter period of time, but the past time, we must have bought more than we needed. With the mower being so new, it is under warranty, but I'd prefer not to take it in for two reasons: 1). It's inconvenient if it's something I can fix myself and 2). There's a chance I'll be charged for them to look at it if the problem is my own doing (such as bad fuel). Any help you can offer would greatly be appreciated - thanks in advance.

heldmacm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot to add that it will restart when the engine is warm.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drain fuel from tank and carburetor. Flush with solvent, and fill with fresh gasoline.

Consider a fuel-system cleaner to remove any slime or crud that may have built-up in the carburetor.

You may need to simply replace the entire carburetor (less than $20) vs. trying to properly clean and reassemble the old one. If you do, pay close attention to all the spring, rods and gaskets and ensure they are correctly fitted back.

Inspect and clean spark plug; verify air filter is spotless, replace both if questionable.

Verify choke is working properly. The VKA came with either a manual or automatic choke. If the black throttle lever control has a CHOKE position, you have a manual choke. If it is only marked FAST and SLOW, you have an autochoke. For manual, move the lever to CHOKE and then remove the air filter and confirm the choke plate is fully closed. For an autochoke, ensure the engine is completely cold and do the same thing. An inoperative or out-of-adjustment choke can make the mower difficult or impossible to start.

heldmacm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for the helpful information. When you say to flush the carburetor with solvent, are you referring to carburetor cleaner? If not, what solvent should I use?

Secondly, the throttle lever control you referenced doesn't ring a bell at all, and I don't see anything along those lines on the mower or in the instruction manual. Are you sure this comes on the model I have (HRR216VKA)? The manual does confirm my model has an automatic choke.

Thanks,

Chris

Drain fuel from tank and carburetor. Flush with solvent, and fill with fresh gasoline.

Consider a fuel-system cleaner to remove any slime or crud that may have built-up in the carburetor.

You may need to simply replace the entire carburetor (less than $20) vs. trying to properly clean and reassemble the old one. If you do, pay close attention to all the spring, rods and gaskets and ensure they are correctly fitted back.

Inspect and clean spark plug; verify air filter is spotless, replace both if questionable.

Verify choke is working properly. The VKA came with either a manual or automatic choke. If the black throttle lever control has a CHOKE position, you have a manual choke. If it is only marked FAST and SLOW, you have an autochoke. For manual, move the lever to CHOKE and then remove the air filter and confirm the choke plate is fully closed. For an autochoke, ensure the engine is completely cold and do the same thing. An inoperative or out-of-adjustment choke can make the mower difficult or impossible to start.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for the helpful information. When you say to flush the carburetor with solvent, are you referring to carburetor cleaner? If not, what solvent should I use?

Secondly, the throttle lever control you referenced doesn't ring a bell at all, and I don't see anything along those lines on the mower or in the instruction manual. Are you sure this comes on the model I have (HRR216VKA)? The manual does confirm my model has an automatic choke.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, carb cleaner is perfect to flush/clean all parts of the fuel system (carburetor, fuel lines, fuel tank, etc.). And you are correct, the VKA does not have a throttle lever, I was thinking of the VYA, which does...

Here is a link to detailed carb cleaning; a can of compressed air will help a great deal:

How to Clean a Honda Carburetor

Padroo

Threads
If it is under warranty I would try fresh gas and if that doesn't fix it I would take it back to the dealer. Once you get to the part of taking things apart you may void your warranty.

trekgod3

Threads
If it is under warranty I would try fresh gas and if that doesn't fix it I would take it back to the dealer. Once you get to the part of taking things apart you may void your warranty.

This post is from over 4 years ago, probably got it figured out

JnC Small Engine

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only correct answer to Roberts query is:

Behind the carb on the engine side there will be a slim pin protruding outward, less than an inch long. That pin is attached to a thermal wax auto control device. When you first start the engine, and as it quickly builds up heat, the pin extrudes from the thermal choke control, and opens the throttle plate to allow your engine to run. Being that the pin is stuck in the open throttle position, the use of starting fluid chokes the engine allowing it to start. The thermal control is about 8 to 10 bucks and is an easy fix. Google it, you'll find directions there.

JnC Small Engine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Roberts post was awhile back although this is the fix for anyone having similar issues.

Attachments

• thermal-wax-actuator4.jpg
    thermal-wax-actuator4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 7

Padroo

Threads
I was thinking the same thing, the automatic choke isn't closing. The dealers know all about it. So far mine is OK.