Problem with deck belt MTD

Jim K.

Threads
My deck belt started coming off when I ingage the blades so I thought the belt was stretched and bought a new one but I am having same the belt seems like it's a little sloppy when I lower the deck and ingage the blades with the motor not running I know for a fact it's the right belt and that it's on correctly I looked for an adjustment of some kind but the only adjustment is for the deck itself could the spring load tension pulley that has the cable on it be weak? The info on mower is 2016 MTD Yard Machine model number ( 13B2775S000) it's a 42" cut it has a power more OHV motor420cc

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the spring goes week
IT also cuts slots in the mounting points
However the usually culprit is the pivot hole on the tension arm that despite owners manuals instructing to oil daily / weekly , no one ever bothers to lubricate so tit flogs out oval .
Sit down when you get the price for a new one

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A common problem here with the deck belts coming off is the owner/operator removes the spindle pulley belt retainer cover because they are broken and just are too cheap to buy and install now covers.
1662123723408.png

I had one customer that just keep damaging the cover and removing them then he would bring the mower complaining the deck belt would not stay on. I no longer work on his mowers after it took 6 months for him to pay the last repair bill; At least I had his mower as collateral.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes the spring goes week
IT also cuts slots in the mounting points
However the usually culprit is the pivot hole on the tension arm that despite owners manuals instructing to oil daily / weekly , no one ever bothers to lubricate so tit flogs out oval .
Sit down when you get the price for a new one
Plus if it is needing replacement both of the spacers needs replacing.

Jim K.

Threads
Plus if it is needing replacement both of the spacers needs replacing.
I am not familiar with this when I bought the mower new I bought it from a rent to own place and did not get a owners manual but it's been a great mower I have been using it for the last 5 or 6 years the only other problem I had with it was the starter housing top part broke off and I aluminum welded it back on and it worked for a while but eventually I ended up buying a new starter for it I've never seen this happen before on a lawn mower the pot metal just broke right off. But now I know so thank you very much for the information I am so glad I found this sight

Jim K.

Threads
A common problem here with the deck belts coming off is the owner/operator removes the spindle pulley belt retainer cover because they are broken and just are too cheap to buy and install now covers.
View attachment 62082

I had one customer that just keep damaging the cover and removing them then he would bring the mower complaining the deck belt would not stay on. I no longer work on his mowers after it took 6 months for him to pay the last repair bill; At least I had his mower as collateral.
These covers are on and I know what you mean about them I even had to redrill new holes once for this mower because the metal on one cover had rusted off

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK so you can weld
In which case you should have noticed that the top of the starter is aluminium not zinc ( pot metal )
So pull the deck & remove the tension arm and the bush it pivots on.
They can be welded then the hole made round again
I make up bigger washer for the top to better support the tension arm & prevent it moving up & down .
If the lathe is empty and I have the stock on hand I turn up a new bigger bush from an old blade spindle so I can weld a couple of washers on the tension arm which means the contact face is now 3 times as thick so will outlast the rest of the deck even if not lubed regularly .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK so you can weld
In which case you should have noticed that the top of the starter is aluminium not zinc ( pot metal )
So pull the deck & remove the tension arm and the bush it pivots on.
They can be welded then the hole made round again
I make up bigger washer for the top to better support the tension arm & prevent it moving up & down .
If the lathe is empty and I have the stock on hand I turn up a new bigger bush from an old blade spindle so I can weld a couple of washers on the tension arm which means the contact face is now 3 times as thick so will outlast the rest of the deck even if not lubed regularly .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you level the deck? If the front of the deck droops that will pitch the spindles forward and cause the belt to be looser. It will also throw the belts out of alignment

Last edited: