Pressure washer project.

Smurfy76

Threads
So recently I picked up a pressure washer someone was tossing out. Well I like a good project and so I grabbed it and first thing I did was replace the carb and spark plug. So she cranks and will stay idle but not go into higher rpms. I haven't had a chance to see about adjusting the carb yet but I'm leaning towards that. I believe the mixture is off. Also the control arm for the rpms seems to go back and forth. I believe it might be missing a piece to control that. I'll try and post some pics but have yet to find much on this pressure washer.

The brand is wel-bilt and I was able to find the model number which is 157720. But can't find anything other than a small owners manual on it. No markings I have seen on the engine brand or anything else. If anyone knows about these feel free to chime in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF a factory makes quality products then they cast their name into the product.
If they are making it for some one else then they either put that companies name on it and a serial number so different batches can be identified
If a company is making absolute junk they are ashamed of it will have neither a name nor a serial numbers and the distributor will usually just have a sticker that they hope will fall off before the unit breaks down .

Post some photos & with a bit of luck some one will be able to identify it .
I have just finished a B & S 2500psi pressure washer with an AR pump both units from their respective factories in China.
The rebuild kit for the pump was $ 275 (Aus) the owner paid $ 430 for the entire unit and it is total trash designed t work well once and never work again unless you go through a complicated flushing proceedure with anti corrosion solutions.

So before you worry about the engine, pull the pump head apart
Chances are it will be corroded beyond use

Smurfy76

Threads
IF a factory makes quality products then they cast their name into the product.
If they are making it for some one else then they either put that companies name on it and a serial number so different batches can be identified
If a company is making absolute junk they are ashamed of it will have neither a name nor a serial numbers and the distributor will usually just have a sticker that they hope will fall off before the unit breaks down .

Post some photos & with a bit of luck some one will be able to identify it .
I have just finished a B & S 2500psi pressure washer with an AR pump both units from their respective factories in China.
The rebuild kit for the pump was $ 275 (Aus) the owner paid $ 430 for the entire unit and it is total trash designed t work well once and never work again unless you go through a complicated flushing proceedure with anti corrosion solutions.

So before you worry about the engine, pull the pump head apart
Chances are it will be corroded beyond use
So I did more research and it looks to be a predator 173cc engine. I ran it with water without the gun on and it seems to be pumping the water out so hopefully that is a good sign. Not sure how strong it is as it was just the hose but it did shoot about 8ft roughly away. So hopefully a lil cleaning will help it. If it doesn't work I only got 14 bucks into it so not a huge loss and at least the engine runs.

Smurfy76

Threads
So I did more research and it looks to be a predator 173cc engine. I ran it with water without the gun on and it seems to be pumping the water out so hopefully that is a good sign. Not sure how strong it is as it was just the hose but it did shoot about 8ft roughly away. So hopefully a lil cleaning will help it. If it doesn't work I only got 14 bucks into it so not a huge loss and at least the engine runs.
I will add some pics tomorrow though

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will add some pics tomorrow though
Don't forget the pump
Most of the cheapies we get down here are either AR RM series or copies of the same .
Predator engines are a house brand for engines made by Lifan mostly known for the 50cc monkey bikes although they make around 5,000,000 motorcycles a years and around the same number of stationary engines ( see now why many predict the end of B & S as an engine maker as Loncin & Ducar also make more then 10,000,000 engines a year and there are over 20 other engine makers in China ( including B & S , Kohler, Honda , Kawakasi, Yamaha , Suzuki )

Last edited:

Smurfy76

Threads

oldlawnguy

Threads
@Smurfy76 I'm with bertsmobile1.

I have a Honda pressure washer that is sitting in my shed as a future project. The engine is fine while the pump (#2) never has been the same on a nice engine. I'm pretty sure it's the pump for you as he suggested a few times. I have a Suzuki pressure washer that has been behaving the past 8 years. I make extra sure to always run her with the water flowing cuz that pump has some pretty high rpms and you want that water flowing to cool the pump. I do not run any of that soap/cleaner mixture mumbo jumbo cuz that will do wonders for oxidation (rust) inside of your pump. ? So between rust and fried bearings/seals the pump is always the weakest link. I agree the replacement pump kit is basically 1/2 the cost of the pressure washer and the design is sub optimal.

So my 2 cents would be you may want to decide if your project is to get the engine working only or you really want to see if you can get her pumping and using the whole kit & kabootle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which screw are you turning ?
The black one on the top is the throttle stop and sets the minimum amount he throttle plate can close
The brass one in the side of the flange is the idle volume needle
The black one on the top that points directly down is not an adjustment it is the idle jet