Powersmart self propelled mower, smoking/running problem after tilting backwards

toneybrown07

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Powersmart self propelled mower, smoking/running problem after tilting backwards
Hey everyone, new here. I was given a Powersmart 170cc self propelled push mower I'm not sure how old it is, but it appears pretty new. The mower starts up on the first pull, but when I'm using it it will occasionally start to billow out white smoke, run rough and die. Once it was even pushing oil out of the muffler when I was trying to restart. If it dies it will not restart at all, or run roughly with no power until it has sat for a while. Then it will start right back up.

Normally the problem seems to be caused when I tilt the mower up, raising the front wheels off the ground to turn the mower. I can't find anything with google searches for my particular problem. Luckily I have another mower, but would like to figure out the problem with this one and fix it if I can.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Powersmart self propelled mower, smoking/running problem after tilting backwards
Well they are about a dozen different causes to this problem. Next there are about 100 different models used on push mowers, depending on the model of mower and year it was built. If you multiply number of models of mowers, time the number of engine models, times the number of causes, our ability to help you, with the limited information you provided, is very remote. Please supply us with more info so we can narrow our search for solutions down. What we need.
1. Model and serial number for the mower.
2. All numbers; model, type, code, serial, spec, on the engine.
3. Did this problem occur suddenly or over time got worse.
4. What is your mechanical ability, so we can decide whether the solution can be done by you or will you need a shop tech?
5. Do you have a $$$ limit? Sometimes it’s better to cut your losses, than stick more $$$ into it, when it’s not worth it.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
check the oil level and see if it has gasoline in it.

toneybrown07

Forum Newbie
Threads
check the oil level and see if it has gasoline in it.
Oil level is currently fine, but when I first got the mower, I changed the oil and it was very thin but not milky like water causes. Would it be a sticking float or something to cause the gas to leak?