Powder Coat Love/Hate Relationship

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a love/hate relationship with the powder coat on my outdoor equipment. I love how it holds its shine/appearance over time and its wear resistance. But it drives me nuts how it fails in large pieces and how it can hide serious rust issues. It doesn't blister the same way ordinary paint does a lot of the time. It's the same deal on my Bri-Mar dump trailer and my Boss snow plow which both live outdoors, both being top-quality manufacturers. It looks good until you realize it's nothing but a curtain hanging there hiding what's going on underneath it in those areas where it has failed.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not impressed with it, either. I've had the same things happen.

My understanding is that powder coating was developed not as an improvement over paint but as a means of compliance with EPA volatile organic compounds (VOC) regulations.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not impressed with it, either. I've had the same things happen.

My understanding is that powder coating was developed not as an improvement over paint but as a means of compliance with EPA volatile organic compounds (VOC) regulations.
Well I think I've defeated that purpose with all of the shaker cans of paint I've used for repairs.

Just adding that on my trailer and mowers there doesn't appear to be a primer. The plow "SmartShield" powder coat paint system has what appears to be an excellent primer underneath. I've worn clear through the paint in high wear areas and as long as there's some primer remaining it doesn't rust.

jp1961

Threads
What about epoxy type coatings (Imron),,,they are supposedly tough as nails but expensive and difficult (hazardous) to apply.

Regards

Jeff

(Account Closed)

Threads
What about epoxy type coatings (Imron),,,they are supposedly tough as nails but expensive and difficult (hazardous) to apply.

Regards

Jeff

I sprayed Imron on a motorcycle literally decades ago. And yes, the fumes are horrible. Application was like enamel and came out pretty good, especially spraying in an open garage.

What I've found to hold up way better than paint is truck bed-liner (rattle cans).

Covers really, really well, lasts a pretty long time and easy to touch up...

Used it on my bike trailer, easily lasted 3-4 x's longer than Rustoleum paint.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
powder coating is a process not a finish
The most common ( read cheapest ) uses pvc powders.
We all know what pvc does in the sunlight.
PVC coatings simply shrink wrap the item and have on adheasion to the base metal which is why they wick in water and then peel off in great lumps.
There are better powder coatings that do adhere to the metal surface but they are a lot more expensive.
Vitrius enamel ( as in your bath tub) is a form of powder coating as are the cloths airers that crack & peel off in a single season.