Poulan Pro hydrostatic transmission

Daleonline

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Poulan Pro model PR25PH48ST(A). 25 HP 48" deck. It has never been fast and now it hardly moves. This is the model w/ 2 pedals; one for forward and one for reverse. Both pedals bottom out when fully depress and it still barely moves. It goes slightly in reverse and if I pull up on the forward pedal, it goes slightly faster.
Replaced the drive belt, no change.
I was thinking the linkages could be worn/loose.
When I checked the tranny fluid at the plug, not only was it milky, but it was almost to the top.
Obviously, there is water in the fluid. Cannot locate a drain plug, don't think there is one. So it looks like I will have to remove it and turn it upside down to drain it.
Question is: What type of fluid/oil does it take and how much?
Or is it just trashed?
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
looks like Hydrogear which uses 20w50 motor oil. Need to measure how much you drain out and then put that amount back in.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hydro gear Model 323-0510

Yes it is the removal and turn upside dump method used to change the oil.

20W50 79 fl. oz. (2336 ml.) provided you purge the pump motors.

Water most like entered through bad input shaft seal. May need to also replace the bearing under the seal.

Woody

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took one of those apart once and I probably will not do it again, needless to say it was quite the challenge. I am wondering could you get enough oil out of it by using one of the suction tools from harbor freight, I have one that has a small tube and draws the oil up into a container. May have to do it twice but it would still be easier that taking the rear end out.

Daleonline

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for your help.
Pretty sure the water got in when I used a pressure washer to clean it off... yeah, not such a great idea...
Is it synthetic that I need to use?
Thanks again
I took one of those apart once and I probably will not do it again, needless to say it was quite the challenge. I am wondering could you get enough oil out of it by using one of the suction tools from harbor freight, I have one that has a small tube and draws the oil up into a container. May have to do it twice but it would still be easier that taking the rear end out.
Great idea, think I'll try this first.

Daleonline

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for your help.
Pretty sure the water got in when I used a pressure washer to clean it off... yeah, not such a great idea...
Is it synthetic that I need to use?
Thanks again
Great idea, think I'll try this first.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Synthetic not required but can be used for better resistance to heat

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Synthetic not required but can be used for better resistance to heat
Most all hydro's MUST use the exact oil recommended. Anything different will cause problems.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most all hydro's MUST use the exact oil recommended. Anything different will cause problems.
Hydrogear uses 20w50 from the factory and says you can use synthetic but not required. But mower manufacturers can recommend their own oil,. Some companies call for 10w30 or 10w40 or 5w30 or hydraulic fluid while using hydrogear units.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Hydrogear uses 20w50 from the factory and says you can use synthetic but not required. But mower manufacturers can recommend their own oil,. Some companies call for 10w30 or 10w40 or 5w30 or hydraulic fluid while using hydrogear units.
I would stick to 20W-50, syn, blend, or other - but 20w-50 for thermal weight that will not bypass and score and film properly.