Poulan PO17542LT Clutch/Shift Problem

HenryR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forgive me if this has been asked-and-answered before, but I could not find a prior discussion.

My Poulan PO17542LT tractor (mechanically identical to some Craftsman & Huskvarna models) has shifted "hard" since putting on a new drive belt. Symptoms are if left running with the parking brake engaged, the drive belt "smells/cooks" after 15 seconds or so. Clearly the belt is not moving but is also too taught against the drive pulley. Then, when running but stopped with the clutch fully depressed, I cannot move the shifter to any different gear, yet when the engine is off, the shifter moves easily between gears.

The only adjustment I can find is at the brake, adjusting the distance of the compressed spring. I have tried "tight" (1-3/8 inch) and the brake engages quickly while releasing the clutch causes an abrupt wheelie. Adjusting the brake rod "loose" (~2 inch) and there's no brake and no clutch... the tractor just keeps going moving and I can easily shift between gears with or without the clutch depressed.

Is there some other adjustment to get proper clutch/brake action? Or maybe a broken clutch-side part (the brake does operate properly)? Or maybe that rod adjustment at the brake really is that "sensitive"? I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The first thing I would be checking is if the belt is routed correctly. Remove the deck, set the parking brake and crawl underneath. Your belt should be loose and you should be able to move it. Check to see if the belt is not rubbing on a belt guide or that a pulley is not turning smoothly. Look at the belt, do you see indication of wear on the inside or outside of the belt. This will help you identify where it may be rubbing. Then release the parking brake and take a second look at everything again, this time looking for someplace where the belt shouldn’t be touching. Let us know what you find. When you post back include the model and serial numbers from Nader the seat.

HenryR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank You. It may be a couple days before I can drop the deck but I will be back. Thanks for your assistance.

HenryR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I dropped the deck and believe the belt was properly routed. It was just too tight, telling me it was just not the correct belt. Even with the parking brake set, the belt was taught (and damaged/burned in spots where it chafed on the drive pulley). When I wrestled the belt off and released the parking brake, the pedal popped way up further up than it did with the belt on (again indicating the belt was too small). The fulcrum where the clutch mechanism pivots was dirty but functioned OK (though I gave it some PB Blaster for good measure).

I think the moral of the story is just because an Amazon or EBay seller SAYS it fits, it ain't necessarily so. I have ordered a 95-1/2 inch OEM Huskvarna belt from a reputable supplier and should be OK. Thanks for your interest.poulan_Belt_Damaged.jpgPoulan_Belt_Route_Center.jpgPoulan_Belt_Route_Front.jpgpoulan_Belt_route_rear.jpgpoulan_clutch_Pivot.jpgpoulan_tag.jpg

HenryR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Installed the correct OEM Husqvarna belt and all is great.