Post Emergent Combo

bigge31566

Threads
I live in south georgia and have centipede grass that has been overrun with nut sedge, crabgrass, sandspur, fescue and bahia. I have already put down one round of preemergent and used Avenue south but Avenue seems to not have worked as well I'm looking now to using image for nutsedge, crabgrass, and sandspur, and 24d for the broadleaf weeds, and also atrazine for fescue and bahia, will this be too much chemicals to have on grass

sjones1011

Forum Newbie
Threads
I too have centipede and would note these items from my experience. I would value other opinions but you may be getting a little late in the season for atrazine as it can ding the centipede pretty bad in warmer weather. I'm in Middle GA and generally don't use atrazine after April 1 - if you try it now, I'd go very light on dosage. I got a lot of beautiful sod now because I loaded my centipede on atrazine in May a few years back to get the lawn "ready" for daughter's wedding party. I got it nice and dead.

Be careful general remedies like 2-4-D and Image from big box stores on centipede as there are just better things out there. To cover most everything else, I use Blindside which covers nutsedge, young crabgrass, broadleaf and bahia (as it contains metasulfron methyl). It may suppress sandspur but will not affect fescue. Blindside is also a pretty hot mix so don't apply at over 85 degrees and don't overdose. You can alternative with Celsius as it gets hotter as it has no temperature restrictions and will kill fescue and broadleafs but not nutsedge and bahia. You are probably going to have to use multiple herbicides for all yiur various problems and just understand centipede is pretty sensitive to most any herbicide especially when applied in hot weather. While burned tips will grow out, you will also see chlorosis from inhibiting centipedes ability to uptake iron. Have liquid chelated iron ready to apply as soon as you see it.

I share your pain with centipede in GA and have the battle scars to prove it. Best advise is to take your time and don't over-medicate it.

bigge31566

Threads
Thanks for the advice, I will use the image and add a little 24d with prodiamine