Possible death of a tranny

rossfrank

Threads
Bolens 38" 6 speed model 13AM 762 F 765. The pulley on the transmission loosend up and sheard the star shaped holders off of tractor. I tried to remove the 7/8" nut that hold the pulley on but the entire shaft spins so I am unable to remove the pulley. Is the fact that the shaft is spinning mean the Tranny is tore up inside? Appreciate any feedback I can get. Lawns getting pretty tall

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, rotate the shaft, and watch the wheel axles, with the f/w engaged in either direction.
Take the thing to someone with an impact wrench to remove the nut.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
No, rotate the shaft, and watch the wheel axles, with the f/w engaged in either direction.
Take the thing to someone with an impact wrench to remove the nut.
If the pulley has spun and ruined the mount, get it welded, then you don’t have to go to more time, trouble and expense.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the pulley has spun and ruined the mount, get it welded, then you don’t have to go to more time, trouble and expense.
Except when you need to replace the belts and you have to remove the pulley to get the belt off and back off because the edge of the pulley is jammed against the frame.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Notch the frame then. Easy right?

rossfrank

Threads
Notch the frame then. Easy right?
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up having to cut the nut off. Pulley has a hole in it about I don't know an inch round it's pretty much shot. Still hoping the tranny's okay.
Fish, I have the tractor in gear now that the pulley and everything's off. I could still spin the spindle the threaded rod coming out with my fingers. You still think that the tranny is okay in spite of me being able to do that? Thanks again guys.
Rossfrank

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you rotate the top shaft, and it is either in forward or reverse, the wheel axles should slowly turn. tranny.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The pulley rounding off it fairly common problem.