Plumes of white smoke!

Rickcin

Threads
My neighbor just serviced his craftsman lawn tractor that has a 21 or 22 hp engine, single cylinder and he changed the oil and guessing he over filled it since the thing sent out huge clouds of white smoke.
I went over to help him and the cylinder head and spark plug area was covered with oil and when draining some of the oil, it appeared to be very thin.

I know very little but I’m thinking it could be a blown head gasket?

Or, perhaps it was overfilled and just happens to be coincidental?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Also be sure Check the oil for the smell of gasoline. That could indicate a bad carburetor Needle and seat or float.
Most likely the oil capacity is around 1 quart and a half.
Post up the engine make and model numbers if you can.

Rickcin

Threads
It’s a Craftsman YT 3000 and I’m trying to determine the engine manufacturer buts it’s a 21 hp single cylinder.

Its a Briggs & Stratton 540 cc engine

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
White smoke is oil burning.
• He's either grossly over-filled the engine. (Some is good, but more is never better.)
• Or he's running some super-thin car oil in it. (Air-cooled engines run much hotter so the weight is critical.)
• Or he poured the replacement oil into the wrong engine hole or into the gas tank

Probably has not damaged the engine yet, so focus on those 3 areas. It may continue to smoke for several minutes after the correction is made.

Hope this helps.