Plastic Fiber or Metal on Trimmers

Helper

Threads
When I was in college, the gardeners used a hand-held trimmer. Some use plastic fiber and others have metal blades for the trimmers. I'm planning to buy one but I'm not sure which is better to use. Can anyone give the advantages of the types of the trimmer?

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have delicate things you do not want to damage ... use plastic.
As you need to get more aggressive go toward metal and for real aggression get a 12 in saw blade model ... it will cut down almost anything. But is a bit harsh for delicate trimming :wink:... KennyV

VRman

Threads
Agree with Kenny!
Trimming around stone? wire? Stay away from the metal. Stone destroys the metal, and you have stone fragments flying all over the place. Painful little buggers. Depending on the thickness of the wire, fencing in my case, it can cut the fence right off. Was wondering how the damn rabbits were getting into the garden one year, until I took a closer look at the fencing. LOL! Sometimes I'm such an idiot. :laughing:

173abn

Threads
helper,I just bought a poly head for my stihl,I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it's better than the string. russ

Helper

Threads
I'm very eager to know how the poly head works. What does a poly head made of anyway? I know that poly means many but what are they made of? If this is better than a metal string or plastic fiber then this will be the one that I will buy.

173abn

Threads
Hi Helper, it's got these 4 plastic blades on the head plus they sell replacement blades by the bag.I think if you google Sthil they should show a pic. of the head.Like I said ,don't know how good it is cause I haven't tried it yet but the dealer said it was better than the string. by the way I'm kinda jealous of where you live. russ

Helper

Threads
by the way I'm kinda jealous of where you live. russ

You won't be jealous when typhoons are here. I don't have to mention the earthquakes although they are not as bad as the Japanese earthquakes.

Those plastic blades looked like they are fragile. I don't know if what I saw are the ones you have.

ted

Threads
I have only used metal since we have some random thick brush around these parts, you would be surprised how fragile some of the plastic ones are though. I know I have tried twice and snapped both in mere minutes.

173abn

Threads
I finally got around to putting that poly head on my Sthil today.Helper I misspoke,instead of 4 it has 3 blades.well I got to reading the instructions that came with it and one of them says you should "soak" the blades in water overnight before using to harden them.I have never heard of something like that before however the blades are now soaking in h2o and will give em a try saturday. maybe someone can enlighten me about this rather odd procedure. Helper you got the typhoons and earthquakes,I've got the tornadoes,heat and droughts and blizzards and ice storms.I guess everywhere has it's + & - russ

Helper

Threads
Helper you got the typhoons and earthquakes,I've got the tornadoes,heat and droughts and blizzards and ice storms.I guess everywhere has it's + & - russ

I rest my case with that one.

I'm puzzled how the water can strengthen the blades. It would soften them I think if we soak them in water. I guess it will become stronger when it dries up.