Planing rebuild FR651V

amowingfool

Threads
I have a Hustler and a BigDog. Big dog old but much better built machine. Deck on Hustler is crap. Moved the newer slightly more powerful FR691 from Hustler to BigDoq which is now a beast again!

Now I have the FR651 and I want to rebuild it and put it on the Hustler chasis minus a deck to perhaps put a small plow on the front to move dirt around. Also tow stuff.

After a lot of digging I did find a service manual and source for kits.

My question is, what is the difference between the 691 and the 651 that gives the 691 those extra couple horse power? Can those be incorporated in my rebuild to basically come up with a 691'ish engine?

Also on same topic, can the manifold and two barrel carb for the FX bolt to the 651 block? ( Just brain storming as this may be a couple months down the road after my next rebuild...a new knee joint...which I will not attempt on myself!

txmowman

Threads
Question 1, carburetor.
Question 2, technically yes, but not legally.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
@7394 @smalltimerpm @amowingfool
Your ignorance and arrogance is showing. You should tend to be a little more professional. People might be counting on you for correct information. Try educating yourselves:
I do not want this to become a slanging match, however replacing the epa certified carburettor on a 651 with the epa certified carb from a 691 would not constitute a violation of any EPA regulations as both carbs are certified for use on the exact same short block.
Fitting a 4 barrel Hollie or even the carb from a Kohler twin then that would be a whole different matter .
In fact the twin barrel carb is actually "cleaner" than the single barrel carb as it has a smaller jet on the trailing cylinder which tends to run rich on single carbed V twins. It also accelerates quicker so reduces the amount of time the engine runs rich in order to accelerate as these engines have fixed timing so rely on a richer mixture wider throttle opening to go from high idle to full power.

As for pollution, yes every engine adds to the overall pollution load on the planet however the volume of pollution that comes from a mower engine is substantially less than from the family dog and the regulations only go to prove that the EPA is pretending to be protecting the planet by passing a lot of legislation that will achieve nothing in the long run and overall will increase overall pollution because EPA compliant products have a substantially shorter service life and the embedded pollution ( that the EPA ignores ) in a mower is substantially higher than the operational pollution the mower will generate over it's entire working life.
And I am one of the greenest people you will ever come across but the regulations on outdoor power equipment is nothing more than window dressing for virtue signallers .
FWIW
Replacing a single air flight with a train trip will reduce pollution more than never using a petrol powered mower for your entire life .
Or to put it in Texan parliance, the EPA is all hat & no cattle .

txmowman

Threads
@bertsmobile1 I can agree with the fact that there is less of an issue with EPA for putting an FS730V carburetor on and FS651V model, for example. But would I as a professional make this recommendation? I would not. Anytime you are messing with EPA regulated components, it is not best practice. You don’t know the person posting the question. Could be the EPA posting the question posing as an end user. You have no idea who I am, I might work with the EPA.
When you are discussing swapping air filter systems, then you are on violation grounds for sure. I wouldn’t want to be liable for a $44k fine. Have a great day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you have a funny idea about EPA regulations and what is & is not allowable
Swapping parts that are all certified for that short block ( engine series in EPA parliance ) is quite fine
Using parts that are not certified for that engine is not .
IF the EPA employees have nothing better to do than haunt repair forums trying to entrap posters then they have breached civil law ie ENTRAPMENT so the fine would not be upheld by any court in the country even in Cal .
On top of that all of the right wing media would have a banquet over it and the case would be front page & lead item in the media for a week .
A go-fund-me page to cover the fine would probably raise $ 44,000,000 from all of the red neck anti government anti authority types .
No one here ever suggests doing things that are dangerous or illegal and if a person suggest doing so then they are warned, as you have done ( although in this particular case you are wrong ) which is what should happen .
Weather we agree or disagree with legislation is irrelevant

smalltimerpm

Threads
I think you have a funny idea about EPA regulations and what is & is not allowable
Swapping parts that are all certified for that short block ( engine series in EPA parliance ) is quite fine
Using parts that are not certified for that engine is not .
IF the EPA employees have nothing better to do than haunt repair forums trying to entrap posters then they have breached civil law ie ENTRAPMENT so the fine would not be upheld by any court in the country even in Cal .
On top of that all of the right wing media would have a banquet over it and the case would be front page & lead item in the media for a week .
A go-fund-me page to cover the fine would probably raise $ 44,000,000 from all of the red neck anti government anti authority types .
No one here ever suggests doing things that are dangerous or illegal and if a person suggest doing so then they are warned, as you have done ( although in this particular case you are wrong ) which is what should happen .
Weather we agree or disagree with legislation is irrelevant
Well said sir. I apologize for my ignorant laughing. I thought it was a jokingly Givin statement. At least I took humor in it. Apologies