Pins on Toro MX5060 don't work

jcworks

Threads
2013 Toro MX5060 (50") zero turn. It doesn't matter if the pins are pulled out or pushed in, the machine still moves. It doesn't seem to disengage the transaxle for manually pushing the mower. For mowing, the machine works fine.

Today I tested to see if the machine would move with the pins pushed in. I pushed the pins in on both sides, started the mower and could drive it same as I've always done. I then pulled them out as they should be for driving. A long time ago I suspected something was not right because its very hard to push manually. Pushing it manually is the only time this matters. Otherwise it moves as it should when mowing. But the pins (both sides) do not appear to be disengaging the transaxle. What's wrong here? Expensive to fix ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question. Are you pushing them in and latching the levers or are just pushing them in?
1652538616547.png

jcworks

Threads
I'm pushing them in, and with that small ring on the pin latched behind the frame. That small ring is not visible when I push them in. So I assume they're "latched" in. This last time (today) I laid down on the floor and pushed them in as far as they would go before I started the engine. The machine still moves. I assume I'm doing it right, I don't know what else I could do it should be as simple as pushing it in with that ring on the pin latched behind the body (red) of the machine. I also reached under there with my hand and pushed the arm that the pins are attached and pushed them as far as they would go. Same results.
I've noticed this just today....it may be something, maybe not. With the engine running if I push the pins in as far as they go with my fingers and holding it there I can feel something --- like something touching spinning gears

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then something is definitely not right but I am not there to look for myself so other will need to chime in. It does appear you have the HydroGear ZT2800 units.

jcworks

Threads
Thanks Star Tech. It sounds like this will likely be taking out both transaxles and looking inside them. Sounds really expensive....and thats IF I can find a shop qualified at that.

Right now I'm thinking since I can use it I might wait for fall when the mowing season is over; and I don't really want to spend big bucks on it right now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Other way round
You pull them OUT to dissengage and push in to engage
So they come out and the ring prevents them pulling back in so you can push the mower

jcworks

Threads
Other way round
You pull them OUT to dissengage and push in to engage
So they come out and the ring prevents them pulling back in so you can push the mower
bertsmobile 1 I think you have it backwards. Pin settings.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry about that
All of the ones I have played with were in for drive & out for push .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And it is a little weird on how they says to do it. Personally I yet one that pushes to disengage here in my shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starting to sound more like a printing error .
If you get under there and have a good look the rod usually goes to an arm which slides on a protrusion in the case.
That protrusion will have a detent in the run position to hold the bypass lever in the run position
Usually when you pull the wire you can feel the resistance as you pull the arm out of the detent then it goes slack
Some actually have detents at both open & closed positions , another of those little differences that create variant numbers and drive techs crazy trying to find replacements for obsolete drives .