Parts cleaner solvent

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The new shop I'm at now came with a parts cleaner vat. The pump still works pretty good. But the grud in it, needs to be removed and some new solvent put in it.
I was thinking about using WD40, simply because it's a good cleaner. Especially on aluminium.

What's everyone else's choice for this?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Simple green works good.
while don't have a parts cleaner, I use and big Tupperware container and let parts soak in them, and scrub them

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use kerosene in my parts washer. I also dump old gas from customers equipment in it too. My parts washer is an old stainless steel shop sink with a 5gal bucket under it and a parts washer pump.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Better check the parts cleaner specs before just throw any solvent in it. Today's cleaners are organic only and things like kero and mineral spirits are a no no. as the pumps are not designed to handle these.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My little pump has worked for 20 years. I am an old school dinosaur. Kero and stale gas and when the pump starts starving i strain the mess through an old T shirt. It gets the chunks out. Have never changed out the fluid. Just add more when it gets low. Don't have one of those saftey cleaners with the auto closing lid. Not sure how i have survived all these years. I do use gloves when using it. Not into soaking the hands in kero anymore.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So I can't use you as my kerosene lamp?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the kerosene too. The water based cleaners work on the pH deal and once they get neutralized the stuff is as good as water. But I use a bunch of Purple Cleaner in a spray bottle too. Cleans like crazy and rinses off clean enough to paint afterwards.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same here old diesel , kerro & stale fuel.
But do take head of Stars comments
Volatile solvent cleaning pumps have a magnetic coupling like petrol pumps so if seals fail then it just makes a mess
Modern detergent type pumps are just std water pumps and many of them have the inpellar on the end of an extended armature shaft.
So if their seals it is either Zap or Whoof and neither are fun for the operator.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
What does anyone think about WD40 as a parts cleaner. I know it works awesome on aluminium. But IIRC, @bertsmobile1 said something about some adverse affects it has on plastics or rubber. But can't remember exactly what he said.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I doubt if wd40 will be a good parts washer fluid. Won't really cut oily and greasy parts. Be careful of some cleaners that are corrosive like Super Clean. If you leave aluminum in to soak it can start to erode the aluminum.