OUCHY!!!!!!!!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Note to self. Don't be a dummy. And always remember, the distance between the end of a mower blade and the inside edge of a mower deck, is less than the width of a finger.

So the bolt that hold the blade on this JD deck rounded off. No problem, I'll just take the nut on the other end off, pull the spindle out and get it off on the vice and a pipe wrench. And use heat if need be.
Well, to hold the deck in place while I put the impact on the pulley nut, I wrapped my hand around the deck, and hit the trigger on the impact. The blade spun around and wedged my finger in between it and the deck. And just stuck there.
OMG, the only way to get it out was to turn the blade.
After 20 minutes of bleeding, I could finally see it's cut through the nail into the quick, right there where the nail first comes out of the skin.

I'm gonna lose this nail for sure. Looks like a few months of having a tender finger.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Be thankful you hadn't just sharpen the blade. Could have been a lot worst like missing finger tip.

Hopefully you learned your lesson and won't do it again.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be thankful you hadn't just sharpen the blade. Could have been a lot worst like missing finger tip.

Hopefully you learned your lesson and won't do it again.

You ain't kidding about that. The way it spun onto my finger would've been the sharp edge. One thing that saved me, besides it being dull, it's a little shorter (1/8th") than the new blades.
1/8th" is a lot of finger.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes we all have our share of stupid mistakes every year. Hopefully I done got in my quota for the year here too. I learn to use a much longer punch the time I got to get out a bearing remains. Thumb got into between the hammer and the spindle housing last week. no boo boo on the hammer side but the spindle side didn't fair as well. Painful cut was the result.

I try not too inflate fully using a strap just enough to get the bead sealed then release and fully inflate. Boy I hate new tires, especially those three sided ones.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I fit new tyres to the outside of the rims then leave them like that for as long as possible so the tyre walls stretch out
When setting the bead remove the valve & use an air duster with a big hole .
Once the beads seat remove the duster and put the valve in
During this time the tyre will deflate enough to undo the strap without loosing a finger
And yes some times I have to do it 3 times .

As for bearings I use an air hammer and rivet setter because it is long enough to go the full length of the spindle housings .
Got some very long chisel bits coming from China by row boat it seems

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes we all have our share of stupid mistakes every year. Hopefully I done got in my quota for the year here too. I learn to use a much longer punch the time I got to get out a bearing remains. Thumb got into between the hammer and the spindle housing last week. no boo boo on the hammer side but the spindle side didn't fair as well. Painful cut was the result.

I try not too inflate fully using a strap just enough to get the bead sealed then release and fully inflate. Boy I hate new tires, especially those three sided ones.

I just bought a new tire for this JD. The local tire shop has them for about what I can get them online for. Their price includes mounting. Those things can be very frustrating. I just wished they could put them on without using vice grips. That's going to create a rust spot very soon.